Sign in to follow this  
sharmo

777 engine failures/fires

Hello. I'm pretty sure this hasn't been bought up before but with the pmdg 777 do you think we are gonna be able to set engine fires at desired points such as V1 VR V2. I have been doing emergency procedures today at LHR with the 747 but have only been able to guess when to set a fire meaning timing 1 minute ahead of VR.

Do you think this would be a good feature for the 777?

It's done in the NGX, so why would it not be done in a product going forward?

Kyle Rodgers

It's done in the NGX,

Not... exactly. One can set up an engine cut at V1/Vr/V2, but not an engine fire. The latter requires the use of a timer, and cannot be triggered at a specific Vspeed.

Good one, would be great if this will/can be modelled in the 777 (and maybe in a future update for the NGX).

I've been reading a B777 flight manual and in it, it pointed out that takeoffs should not be aborted for a fire at high speed (i.e. between 100 kts and V1), and when you stop to think about it, aborting takeoff in a heavy aircraft at high speed would be more dangerous than taking the fire in the air with you, so will a fire trigger at V1 be useful, probably not, but for Vr and V2 it would be a nice to have.

I'm not arguing against the idea, but part of me wonders of what use would this be?  V1 being your decision speed, you're already going up in the air regardless of what happens.  If you have such incredibly unfortunate luck that you get an engine fire precisely at V1 (or Vr or V2), you're still going up.  Additionally, with an engine fire, you're still going to be developing thrust (at least until you run your memory items), so it's not as energy crucial like an engine cut at the various speeds (which is probably why those options are there, and fire isn't directly related to them - just my guess, though).

Granted, you're going to have to secure the engine in short order, which means you lose thrust on that side, but it's not a matter of immediate energy management like a cut.  It's almost better to use the timer, in my opinion.  That way it's "SURPRISE, YOU'RE ON FIRE!" instead of "oh, well there's my engine fire at V1...continue on."

Kyle Rodgers

After spending a few hours in the simulator last night i have to say the worst case is probably a N1 or N2 seizure and then the TAC decides it doesnt wanna play along and you actually have to put in all the rudder yourself. But even so it is still an easy plane to fly with plenty of power (for the LR/300ER - the old 300 RR we fly is a totally different beast ^_^ ).