Sign in to follow this  
Zoombag

PMDG 737NGX and AIVLASOFT EFB

Hi all,

I was hoping I could get some help from you guys in regards to the PMDG 737NGX and Aivlasoft EFB software.

I have just recently downloaded the 30 day free trial and trying to set it up, firstly how do I set it up for the 737? as far as I've gotten is making a new aircraft folder named 'PMDG 737-900NGX' and added the checklists from Aivlasofts' website. Is that all I have to do? Secondly when I make a flight plan and try to save it as a .RTE file is says that access to 'C:\............\PMDG\FLIGHTPLANS\NGX' is denied. I have no idea how to get around this? and lastly once I can get the software to save the .RTE file how do I then get it on to the PMDG 737?

Sorry if these are real basic questions, I have done quite a bit of internet searching before posting this and can not find the answers I need. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong spots, I dont know.

Cheers, Josh.

Hi Josh,

It would be more appropriate for you to go to the Aivlasoft forum really to get more detailed information and assistance from both developer and members since the PMDG routes saving does not require any specific setup.

Be cautious to indicate whether you are using the EFB display on a secondary networked computer or on your FS computer. from what you experience, it would appear you operate the display on another computer hence the access denial is probably caused by the lack of proper shared files authorisation level between the two PC. Consulting the Aivalsoft forum will get you there in no time since this is a recurring challenge for whoever wants to create a network for the first time, go through the FAQ.

Unfortunately I am away from my FSX at the moment and cannot get into the details you need but do go there and you shall find what you request (it is a great add-on by the way, don't give up): http://www.aivlasoft.com/support/index.php

Best regards,

Hi Jean,

Thanks for the reply, I'll have a look through their forum. Unfortunately I am running everything on one machine.

Cheers, Josh.

Hi Josh

Let's see if I can chip in here as I regularly use EFB with all my quality aircraft. First, you need to load the EFB Data Provider applet, then, the EFB Display Unit applet. When the Dispaly Unit is on(linked to the Data Provider), you should a green 'on'  bottom left corner. You are now ready to create your flight plan.

Route Setup, set your Origin and Destination. Helps if you have the airport codes, otherwise you can select it from the list provided. Once you have done that, save that flight plan,and you will be presented options to save for FSX, Level-D and PMDG, etc etc. You need to direct EFB where these flightplans are stored, e.g. /PMDG/Flightplans, and it will then save there thus, e.g. KJFKKMIA01.RTE.

When you go to the NGX's FMC to set up your route in the FMC, where the Co-Route LSK is, type in that xxxxyyyy01,and then it should, all  things being equal, place that EFB-created route in there. All you will then have to do is add the SIDs and STARs. 

Hope this helps.

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the reply, I am doing exactly what you said up to the part of saving the flightplan. When I select that folder to save in and then click save, I am getting an 'access is denied' prompt and it wont let me save. Just to clarify I am running it all (FSX, Data Provider, and Display Unit) on one PC, on the same network. Thanks also for clarifying the FMS route loading, I completely understand that now.

Cheers, Josh.

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the reply, I am doing exactly what you said up to the part of saving the flightplan. When I select that folder to save in and then click save, I am getting an 'access is denied' prompt and it wont let me save. Just to clarify I am running it all (FSX, Data Provider, and Display Unit) on one PC, on the same network. Thanks also for clarifying the FMS route loading, I completely understand that now.

Cheers, Josh.

That 'Access Denied' is not related to FSX but is a Windows 7 protocol. You need to make sure that you are the Administrator and have used UAC. Look elsewhere in these Forums for UAC, specially Word Not Allowed's posts, as I cannot explain that side all that clearly.

To be clear, you need to disable UAC by pulling the slider to the bottom, i.e. down to "never notify" I think its called.

You don't have to run as administrator, but if you do then make sure all Apps that might want to communicate with one another all run in the same regime i.e. all programs must "run as admin" or all NOT run as admin. Windows wont allow communication between apps that are not run at the same rights level.

If you are using Windows 8 then all bets are off, it may work but it probably wont. The best advice is to downgrade to Windows 7. In many cases if you recently bought a PC with Win8 Pro already installed you can get a free downgrade to Win7. Contact your dealer or Microsoft support directly to see if your OS/system is eligible.

Cheers, Andy.

That 'Access Denied' is not related to FSX but is a Windows 7 protocol. You need to make sure that you are the Administrator and have used UAC. Look elsewhere in these Forums for UAC, specially Word Not Allowed's posts, as I cannot explain that side all that clearly.

Ok thanks Rick, I'll do a bit of research in regards to UAC.

To be clear, you need to disable UAC by pulling the slider to the bottom, i.e. down to "never notify" I think its called.

You don't have to run as administrator, but if you do then make sure all Apps that might want to communicate with one another all run in the same regime i.e. all programs must "run as admin" or all NOT run as admin. Windows wont allow communication between apps that are not run at the same rights level.

If you are using Windows 8 then all bets are off, it may work but it probably wont. The best advice is to downgrade to Windows 7. In many cases if you recently bought a PC with Win8 Pro already installed you can get a free downgrade to Win7. Contact your dealer or Microsoft support directly to see if your OS/system is eligible.

Thanks Andy, I'll have a play around and see what I can do. I am running Win7 but I forgot to mention that it is through Bootcamp on an iMac. Should that make a difference?

Cheers, Josh.

It should NOT make any difference, its still Windows7, just bootcamp made the install process easy, lol. I was playing around with Win7 on my rMBP the other day, I soon deleted it again though, I much prefer OSX on the MacBook, lol.

Just type "UAC" in the Start menu search box and you will get where you need to go, it's a cinch.

Edited by Andydigital

Cheers, Andy.

that it is through Bootcamp on an iMac

Now, you have me stumped !!

(sorry abouty the cricketing link)

It should NOT make any difference, its still Windows7, just bootcamp made the install process easy, lol. I was playing around with Win7 on my rMBP the other day, I soon deleted it again though, I much prefer OSX on the MacBook, lol.

Just type "UAC" in the Start menu search box and you will get where you need to go, it's a sinch.

Finally got it to work! haha. Thank you guys for your help, it was much appreciated!

If I could I'd buy you both a beer, Cheers!

- Josh

If I could I'd buy you both a beer, Cheers!

Hooray!! Guessing you're in Oz, in which case you can drink a VB or a Toohey's for us. Glad to have helped. Now go enjoy

@@Andy

It's cinch

Just type "UAC" in the Start menu search box and you will get where you need to go, it's a cinch.

I am considering putting Win7 on my MBA but just a minium partition so I can run the EFB DU on there. Did you try that with your rMBP?

- Josh

Yes I used bootcamp to install Win7 on its own partition, but Windows doesn't play nice with the 2880x1800 resolution display on the 15" rMBP, it frankly looks awful and you have to scale the dpi up to 200% to make anything readable, either that or you have to run the display at a more reasonable resolution, in which case it looks a blurry mess.

Then even if you do stick with the high res and dpi setting you then start having problems with program's that haven't been programmed to work with hiDpi settings (dialogue boxes don't look right, text gets cut short, etc) and I'd been through that minefield before with a previous OS (Vista) years before. That was too much like déjà vu so I gave up literally within an hour of installing it and got Bootcamp to delete the partition then merge it back into just one partition again.

With a none retina display you should be ok and you should be able to use it as the EFB display unit, yes. Personally I just use a second display on my PC as I always run FS in windowed mode anyway.

Cheers, Andy.