Sign in to follow this  
twharrell

Makerunways not recognizing FSDreamteam scenery

Another problem was discovered when using RC4, although I don't think this is an RC4 issue.  I noticed the other day that RC4 did not give me Rwy 10 for departing KORD, so went to request the Rwy and it wasn't listed in the RC4 menu!  I did my flight, then went to the rc4.csv file and, sure enough, Rwy 10 and 28 were not listed.  I checked to make sure my makerunways was current, which it was.  It had been run right after I installed my FSDreamteam sceneries into P3D.  Next, I opened the runway.txt file and searched for 'Airport KORD'. Only the default airport is listed. I clicked 'Find Next' and no other KORD was detected. I did the same with KDFW and, once again, only the default KDFW was listed.

I opened the KORD AFCAD file in ADE and Rwy 10-28 is in fact there, so for some reason the KORD and KDFW AFCADs are not being read.  Now, the names of the AFCAD files are AP_KORD.bgl and AP_KDFW.bgl. I don't know if the names of the files are causing the issue or not.

Todd

The file names are mostly by tradition. The afcad type files are required to have a certain tag within that designates them as that type. However, it certainly can not hurt to change the file name prefix to AFX_ to test instead of AP_, update your scenery.cfg as necessary with the scenery settings in FS, and restart it so it reindexes.

If you create a flight in P3D does it show the runways 10/28 as available as a starting point at KORD? That is just to check the scenery.cfg created in P3D.

Did you get makerwys version 4.63 from:

http://forum.simflight.com/topic/66136-useful-additional-programs/

r5.csv is copied from your P3D folder to your RCv4\data folder as r4.csv. Check each of those, first r5.csv in your P3D folder and then the copied r4.csv in rcv4\data to insure the updates got to the rcv4\data folder.

If rc is run over a WideFS network to your P3D host, then you must first directly run makerwys.exe in your P3D folder before running the RC scenery rebuild process to copy the files and create a4.csv.

If for test you run makerwys.exe in your P3D folder and 10/28 is still missing in your runways.txt file then search Pete Dowson's support forum and if nothing turns up create a post there.

Another test you can do is to open the AP files direct in ADE and then recompile them putting them in the same folder. Then rename AP_KORD.bgl to AP_KORD.bgh. That should insure that the afd tag type is in the file.

I'll be sure to get that Makerunways update - looks pretty fresh, hot off Pete's hard drive.

I open P3D using SimLauncher and if I create a new flight, Rwy 10/28 is not listed. Also, just last night I installed the new SimLauncher version 8.5, executed Makerunways, and runway still not listed.

I'll try renaming the AFCAD file and perhaps recompile through ADE and report back. If that doesn't work, I'll head over to Pete's domain and give him a crack at the problem.

Quick somewhat related question. I can execute Makerunways from SimLauncher directly, which I do any time a new scenery is added. Do I still have to execute Makerunways from RC4? (right now I am)

I'll report back later.

Todd

RC's scenery rebuilder MUST run to get the new scenery data to RC.

Normally if you have RC and P3D on the same pc you answer NO to the WideFS question. RC will execute makerwys.exe and then proceed to copy r5 csv to its rcv4\data folder as r4.csv and create a4.csv from that. If RC is on a WideFS client to a P3D host, then first you directly run makerwys.exe (in your P3D folder), answer Yes to the WideFS question, and then RC proceeds to copy the already created r5.csv to its \data folder as f4.csv via the network and then create the a4.csv as before.

In either case be sure you give the correct local path or network path to your P3D folder.

Have you tried creating a flight from KORD where you can see of 10/28 shows up in the runway list for location just running P3D? You need to insure that there is no scenery problem.

Well, I think problem is solved.  In my C:\Prepar3D folder I had a P3D.exe file and a FSX.exe file, BUT interestingly the FSX.exe file was associated with a P3D symbol. I figured that must be the dummy file created by the Estonia FSXtoP3D migrator tool.  The strange thing was that tool was disabled (I keep it disabled unless I really need it to install something). Yet, that dummy file was still there - strange.  I hid that file in a spare folder I made (in case it was needed), then ran makerunways.exe. Wouldn't you know it it included the FSDT KORD scenery this time.  I even checked the rc5.csv file and runway 10/28 was listed!  To test my theory, I put the FSX.exe file back into my P3D folder and reran makerunways.exe. Not a single add-on scenery was included. I checked my rc5.csv file and KORD rwy 10/28 was missing.  I deleted that FSX.exe file completely and reran Makerunways.exe, and everything is good now. I also ran Makerunways.exe through RC4, and it now recognizes FSDT KORD.

I always assumed when the Estonia FSXtoP3D migrator tool was disabled, the dummy file would be inactivated or removed, but it apparently isn't. I either have a bad copy of the tool or the tool is faulty.  So, everyone running Estonia migrator check your P3D folder and get rid of that FSX.exe dummy file if you don't need it.

Todd

I would have renamed the file FSH.exh so it could be renamed back if needed or just kept it outside of the P3D folder. Maybe the migrator needs it.

Glad you got it sorted.

I deleted that FSX.exe file completely and reran Makerunways.exe, and everything is good now. I also ran Makerunways.exe through RC4, and it now recognizes FSDT KORD.

MakeRunways determines where to look for the currently active SCENERY.CFG file by searching for the FS EXE. It's the only way it knows which version of FS you are using. It looks for FS9, FSX, ESP and P3D is that order. So, with FSX.EXE in the folder is will be using the FSX Scenery.CFG file, which presumably hasn't been updated with your add-on scenery.

Regards

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

Pete,

I don't have FSX installed. Interestingly, however, I have 2 scenery.cfg files. One is in my P3D folder and it contains none of my add-on sceneries. The other is in my Appdata\Roaming\LockheedMartin\P3D folder and that one is the fully updated scenery.cfg file. Should I delete, or rename, the one in my P3D folder and move the second scenery.cfg file with updated scenery list to my main P3D folder? Or does P3D read the scenery.cfg file from a different location than FSX (in that case just leave the second scenery.cfg file alone)?

Ronzie,

If I run the migrator tool, it will create a new FSX.exe file, so deleting the file doesn't prevent anything. I tested it and it does exactly that.

Thanks for all the help trouble-shooting this, guys.

Todd

Another thing I noticed. There is also a FS2000.exe file and a FS9.exe file in my main C:\P3D folder. Neither of those are installed on my computer. Does anyone know why they are there? They've been there since I installed P3D, so they obviously are included with the installer.

Is there any way to to have Makerunways ignore the FS9.exe and FSX.exe files look for the P3D.exe file only? That would prevent a lot of conflicts. I would think I am not the only person experiencing this issue.

Todd

In my FS9 folder I have FS2000.exe (never installed) and FS2002.exe (not on this pc). If I click on FS2000.exe it fires up FS9. It might have something to do with shortcut or other compatibility or some other reason MS included it.

See if you click on those if it loads P3D. If so, I would just rename them to .exh.

Pete probably uses a filename .exe search rather than the registry due to the many apps makerwys supports that might even include items that existed prior to Win or other versions that do not use a registry.

Another issue is that there are two scenery.cfg files and depending on the fs version they are located in the fs folder and your specific apps folder under documents and settings. Only one is current so it is possible makerwys used the incorrect one since it thought you were using a version of FS, not P3D.

For instance for my FS9 on Win XP there is a scenery.cfg in the fs9 folder (that is current) and one in

"C:\Documents and Settings\Ron Ginsberg\Application Data\FS9\", an old version backed up by something. I think in FSX the one in the apps folder is used.

Interestingly, however, I have 2 scenery.cfg files. One is in my P3D folder and it contains none of my add-on sceneries. The other is in my Appdata\Roaming\LockheedMartin\P3D folder and that one is the fully updated scenery.cfg file. Should I delete, or rename, the one in my P3D folder and move the second scenery.cfg file with updated scenery list to my main P3D folder? Or does P3D read the scenery.cfg file from a different location than FSX (in that case just leave the second scenery.cfg file alone)?

-

Leave both alone. The one in the P3D folder is the default, for re-establishing into the AppData folder should the latter be lost or deleted. MakeRunways reads the one in the AppData folder.

-

Is there any way to to have Makerunways ignore the FS9.exe and FSX.exe files look for the P3D.exe file only? That would prevent a lot of conflicts. I would think I am not the only person experiencing this issue.

-

Well, in all the years since it was first produced and used, 1994 (for fSW95), this problem has not cropped up before. My Prepar3D folders have only ever held Prepar3D.exe, no other FS application files. I think the existence of the others in yours must be a result of using some migration tool for installing FSX applications into P3D.

At present MakeRunways checks for the FS EXEs in the following order:

- FSX.EXE ---> ESP.EXE ---> Prepar3D.EXE ---> FS9(assumed by not finding the others)

Once it has identified the Sim version it can locate the correct SCENERY.CFG via the Registry.

What I can do is change the order to:

- Prepar3D.EXE ---> ESP.EXE ---> FSX.EXE ---> FS9(assumed by not finding the others)

since it is a lot less likely to see the later ones copied into the earlier folders.

Done -- version 4.64 now released.

-

Pete probably uses a filename .exe search rather than the registry due to the many apps makerwys supports that might even include items that existed prior to Win or other versions that do not use a registry.

-

No, it needs to know the version of FS in order to get the correct Registry entry to locate the SCENERY.CFG file. It is different to the FSUIPC installer, which knows it has to install in every version it finds in the Registry.

-

Another issue is that there are two scenery.cfg files and depending on the fs version they are located in the fs folder and your specific apps folder under documents and settings. Only one is current so it is possible makerwys used the incorrect one since it thought you were using a version of FS, not P3D.

-

Since FS9 the only correct version is the one in the relevant AppData folder. The one in the main app folder is merely a master for the default.

Regards

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

Since FS9 the only correct version is the one in the relevant AppData folder. The one in the main app folder is merely a master for the default.

Regards
Pete

Other way around for me, Pete. The FS9 folder version is current by the modified date and has the latest layer number. makerwys works fine for me. I'm on XP if that makes a difference.

Same here on my setup under Win 7(x64), the "master" scenery file (14KB) is in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX\scenery.cfg.  There are 2 others (both are 11KB). One, the default backup, in the main FSX directory and the other in C:\Users\....\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\.

Note: Makerunways has always found the correct one!

Regards,

Claude Franklin

Pete,

Thank you for addressing my issue. Making a new version was not necessary, but I appreciate your support nonetheless!!  I did use the Estonia FSXtoP3D migrator tool a few weeks ago to install a few sceneries that did not have P3D installers.  However, I did disable that tool once finished. Apparently the dummy FSX.exe file it creates stays in the P3D folder.  As I stated before, when I remove that file, makerunways works fine for me, so your explanation above on how Makerunways searches the various FlightSim.exe files makes complete sense of the issues I was having.

Todd