Sign in to follow this  
felipeturbay

which ILS should I choose!?

Hello guys,

I am trying to land in Tokyo and by doing so, when I check the Aproaches on the FMC I got the result below in the screeshot, why are there so many ILS approaches!!?? I f I look at the Airport in FSX I see just ILS 34 (left or right) but no ILS 34 x y z as shown below...

Furthermore, by choosing one these approaches and then looking the NAV RAD so see the ILS radio, I see a PARK, I remember in some flights i did before the FMC would set that automatically...

any ideas about this behaviour?

Thanks to all!

ILS_zps69f1651a.png

I can't see the picture, most likely due to some of the security here at work, but I think I have an idea what you're getting at.

If there are multiple versions of the same approach to a particular runway, they may be given different identifiers at the end of the approach.  As an example, there are two GPS approaches to Runway 21 at CHO.  The RNAV GPS Z RWY 21 and the RNAV GPS Y RWY 21 (they start from the end of the alphabet and work backwards).  In this case, the RNAV GPS Z RWY 21 requires LPV and WAAS, while the RNAV GPS Y RWY 21 does not.  Since the C172 I normally fly doesn't have LPV or WAAS, I'd fly the Y version.

Not being able to see the charts for each ILS approach, I couldn't tell you which one to use.  I'm guessing the different versions may have different initial approach fixes (IAF), so choose the one with an IAF that's most in line with your direction of flight.

For what it's worth:

Selecting any one of them is going to tell the FMC to load the nav frequency and course for the aircraft to follow, regardless of what's on the ND.  If that's all you're looking for, any of them will get you that.

Kyle Rodgers

so if I understodd correctly, whatever I choose will give me the correct ILS approach right? What I still dont understand is why when I choose one of these approaches the NAV/RAD does not tune automatically an ILS frequency but it says PARK, I now you can enter it manually but before on previous flights it was done automatically. I updated some weeks ago my FMC data, may that be a reason for this problem?

THanks to all!

I forgot to mentioned that when I choose the ILS approach and then saw the PARK in NAV/RAD, I entered manually the frequency 111.90 (given by the FSX) with the indicating course (337) and when doing the approach I got no ILS whatsoever...

Yes, they are only different transitions for the same approach. The localizer course and frequency are the same. 

Unfortunately, I don't have a clue when it comes to your problem with PARK.