Sign in to follow this  
Jessica Bannister-Pearce

Evolution of X-plane 10

Hi guys,

So I was looking through my PC's drives and I found an old copy of the XPX demo from way back. So curiosity got the better of me and I thought I'd take a look and compare. It's X-plane 10.01R1 so quite early and I set the rendering options to near identical settings as my up to date copy. anyway here are a few quick pics of then and now.

8684944864_22a31efeac_b.jpg10.21 out around KSEA 

8684944732_485d4d2ef5_b.jpgSame general area 10.01R1

8683826743_2c791e69eb_b.jpgNot far from boeing field KBFI departing 13L 10.21

8684944654_a45e036bba_b.jpg

Same general area KBFI 10.01R1

Two things I noticed. 

1. the current lights suck compared to the old copy.

2. For some reason, my stars are stretched compared to the old version. 

Frame rate wise, well, 10.21 is much better than 10.01. Both are running FXAA although 10.01 looks better. 

Maybe in the morning I do the cloud test as show the difference in daylight. that show a few changes as well.

Thats pretty much my memory of night lighting as well.  They had it nailed and not sure why they changed it?

Are you no longer iracing? (on a totally different topic)

not sure why they changed it?

This is a bug, most of new Autogen in 10.20 was incomplete and lacked lit textures for night. The next Autogen update (expected in 10.22) should hopefully fix this.

I did a flight last night and the lighting seemed to be back to awesome.  I thought it may have been because I was in a different area taking off/landing from an aerosoft airport.  I thought maybe something different was done to the area.

Later on I realised it was probably because I  turned off HDR.  I dont know why I had it on.  At some point I must have done it for testing but with an ATI card (7970)  AA with HDR  sucks big time so if I want a picture that doesnt  pixelate I need it off.   Anyway, lights going well with it off.

2. For some reason, my stars are stretched compared to the old version. 

I started flying XP at v10.11, I had no idea the stars were rendered just fine in earlier versions. I reported the bug but don't expect it'll be fixed soon, given all the other high priority stuff.