Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ejoiner

Nvidia 320 international beta drivers

I dropped a new video card into my old PC the other day.   Not the highest end card, but one a major step up from the old Nviida GT420 card I had.   I put in a GT630 card and was expecting major frame rate improvements from FS9.    I had been getting 25-30 FPS out of the old card and when looking up at clear blue sky, it would go up to 50 FPS.    With the latest WHQL drivers (314.22) I was very disappointed.  The sim came to a crawl.   It was in the single digits for virtual cockpit,  low teens in the 2D and got 25 FPS tops in the external views (not many clouds).   Not acceptable.

I tweaked my fs9.cfg a little, to insure it was picking up the right card, but its been so long since I did any major FS9.cfg tweaking, I didnt do much beyond that.   Meantime, I downloaded the 320.00 beta drivers from Nvidia.   Those suckers SCREAM.    major FPS improvement over the current WHQL drivers.    The problem is they are beta and they do not render the aircraft well.  Uneven reflections on metal textures, which are also way too reflective.  On painted surfaces, you can see different light renderings on different textures, whcih should be even.

BUT...they are FAST.  best rendering of clouds and sky, as well as ground textures I've seen in FS9 anyway.

Anybody else got a good driver set that will work with a 600 series Nvidia card and FS9?   I dont like the 314's...

Eric

Being a beta is why the sim would scream but you could burn your card out as well because the driver is not capped/coded as a WHQL signed driver.

Beware of BETA drivers.

Agreed, but 314.22 driver is a dog on my system for some reason.   Anyway, point taken.