Sign in to follow this  
John Banks

inflight map drives me nuts!

guys!

I'd like to know if the are plans for a 3rd Party map, which is actually useful to navigate with?  Each time i try to use the map for an AoTD hunt it's complety useless. When i look with bing on a real map and then go back to the game, it'd even hard to see that you actually flying over Alaska. Not even the shape of the coastline is of any use, nor are rivers of mountains. How are you guys using the darn map?

best regards

John

Welcome John,

You should try PlanG, it might not be what your looking for but its probably the best VFR flight map out there

http://www.tasoftware.co.uk/planG.htm

If you want something for tubeliners and IFR, I would go for aivlasoft EFB

http://www.aivlasoft.com/products/efb/

Be sure to check out the reviews on Avsim for anything you might want to buy, I always find them very helpful.

Regards,

fsw_gmap_msf_21.zip

Available at http://fswidgets.com/shop/download_files.php

Scroll down and youwill find the one for Flight download it for free to see how easy it works.

For an extra 10 bucks you can fill the map with all the info needed.

More info here.

http://forum.avsim.net/tutorials/article/72-how-to-use-gmap-as-a-popup-within-flight-full-screen-on-one-monitor/

PlanG is great for preparing a flight plan - you will need either FS X or FS 9 for its database of airports. Then, Fermin Fernandez' GMap (free) is the in-flight moving map that you need.

Lilly_Lake_01.jpg

It will also load and display the flight plans created in PlanG.

summit01_zps7539c635.jpg

Best regards.

Luis

Thanks guys! Good to see there are useful alternatives. The stock map is complete crap. No Chance to find anything at all which is more than 20 NM away.

@ DoubleJ: I will try the map later today. The flight plan thingy is quite nice but not what i'm in need of right now.

thanks again guys.!

The $10 addon that you want for GMap is the Alaska Sectionals. You also want GMap Viewer (free)

Moe

Btw, is there a printable map of the ingame map with all relavant cities put into the map? I don't even know where i can find "Terrace" for example. Using a real map in Google maps, i can't even get the idea where it might be on the flight map. Would be nice to know, just to get an idea of the correct heading. 

What did the programmers had in mind, when they'd built that thing? :)  The Hawaiian map does alteast makes sense, because you can recognize the shape of the Islands, the Alaska one could also be a somewhere on Mars.

Btw, is there a printable map of the ingame map with all relavant cities put into the map? I don't even know where i can find "Terrace" for example. Using a real map in Google maps, i can't even get the idea where it might be on the flight map. Would be nice to know, just to get an idea of the correct heading. 

What did the programmers had in mind, when they'd built that thing? :)  The Hawaiian map does alteast makes sense, because you can recognize the shape of the Islands, the Alaska one could also be a somewhere on Mars.

Terrace is in BC so the only way to find it is to zoom into no mans land and look for the radio beacon.

There is no printable map available. The best thing to do  is use the Gmap and pay the extra 10 bucks so all the airports and data will be visible. it is second to none. I use the same Gmap from FSWidgets in Flight for FSX the data is the same.

What were they thinking? Who knows as Alaska was never finished. Maybe they planned on selling us all kinds of bits and pieces.

In my opinion you should invest, buy a normal paper aeronautical map (sectionals, Jeppesen, ...) and do proper navigational flights. If you fly GA VFR then navigation with a stoper and map is 90% of the fun. Following a line displayed on the screen seems a little boring.

I'm not sure how it is in the US, but I assume that similar as in Europe all airfield information, procedures and maps are freely available.

Don't really have to buy anything. Sectionals and TACs for most of the world are already in the Avsim library. :lol:

Best regards.

Luis

Sky Vector is great but only for the US - where it's covered by sectionals. For the rest of the world the level of detail on the map is way to low for proper VFR flight planning. There are no min. sector altitutes, cities are not labeled, only the major roads are shown, obstacles (with height) and landmarks are missing... etc. You can see here what the level of detail is on real aviation charts.

I'm not sure how it works in the US, but in Europe the process of planning a cross country VFR flight takes at least an hour. You first draw the route on the map, fill in the legs with magnetic track and distance in your VFR flight plan. Next you check the weather forecast and calculate the wind correction angle and calculate the magnetic heading, ground speed and leg times. All is writen down in a flight plan and on the map next to the legs. You perform your weight, balance and fuel calculations and put them into the flight plan. Finally you check NOTAMS, METAR's and TAF's and active TRA's and TSA's.

It's a lot of work, but the preparation phase is half the fun of real world flying.