Sign in to follow this  
AirborneZed

Repairing FSX - crashes on startup

I Am in need of an fsx repair from the disk. I'm having black, texture-less, flat contrails at high altitude. problem is that every time I repair, I start uo fsx and it shows the "fsx.exe has stopped working" message. If anyone has experience with this, what can I do to repair and run the bloody thing normally? It seems like the repair function only kills the program completely, and it's the only thing people recommend when they have a problem.

Addons

Opusfsx

AES 2.25

NGX w/ fs2crew

UTX

REX textures

FSinn

FSuipc (the newest, registered)

AS2012

Enb mod

many payware sceneries

David Zambrano, CFII, CPL, IGI

I know there's a lot of money in aviation because I put it there. 

BetaTeamD.png

Most people recommend a complete uninstall/reinstall of FSX.  Anyone considering this though should first delete or rename their FSX.cfg, restart FSX, and let the config rebuild.  That fixes a lot of problems in many cases.  A repair is recommended sometimes as another option to completely uninstalling/reinstalling FSX and all of FSX's add-ons.  When you do a repair you must repair all of FSX.  FSX Deluxe, Acceleration must both be "repaired".  If you did not install Acceleration, then you need to repair SP1 and SP2.  You'll get the repair option when you double-click on SP1 and SP2 exe's.  A repair will rewrite your FSX.cfg and maybe the dll.xml and exe.dll files too.  Make sure these are backed up before repairing so you can bring your fsx back to the original configuration.  Just remember though that the problem(s) could exist in the FSX.cfg, the dll.xml, the terrain.cfg so, if you bring these back after the repair, the same problems may exist before you started the repair.  I would only do a repair if you are trying to bring back the original textures or missing objects that somehow got deleted or written over by another addon.  If you have the ENB mod installed, this is most likely the problem(s) you are experiencing with FSX.  It is known to cause FSX to crash or not start up.  So, make sure you remove the mod by removing the d3d9.dll and enb.ini from your main fsx folder.  Move them to a temporary folder so you can see if the mod is the file that is causing all of your problems.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

It's a missing texture problem, My contrails are just a large black tape. Thanks, I'll remove d3d9 and back up said files.

David Zambrano, CFII, CPL, IGI

I know there's a lot of money in aviation because I put it there. 

BetaTeamD.png