Sign in to follow this  
Scott434

B777-200 Reference Guide – Apology

I would like to apologize to the Avsim community, Tom Allensworth and PMDG for any trouble or inconvenience I caused by posting the material I did.

The act of copying and distributing work of others without permission is a violation of copyright law regardless of the nature of the material or my intent. Also, the act of doing so was a breach of the agreement I agreed to when joining Avsim.

I was wrong to do what I did, I used poor judgment and I am sorry.

I would like the opportunity to redeem myself. The “Boeing B777-200 Reference Guide is small 5” x 7” pocket reference guide dated 1994 published by the “Boeing Commercial Airplane Group – Employee Training and Development department. The document number is “D1-4804-0340 ORIG. 11/95”.

As far as my research into this document takes me, this document was never for sale so unless you were a Boeing employee or knew someone who was, you would likely not be able to obtain one.

The guide does not contain very much information that would not be covered in the upcoming PMDG documentation set that will accompany the aircraft. In fact it has very little technical significance at all.

Since the 777 represents a very historic moment in aviation history, and if you are a bit of a collector of relevant cool things as I am, I thought others might be able to share the enjoyment of the reading the guide.

To this end, I was wondering if Mr. Ranazzo might PM me with a contact at Boeing so that I can seek permission to distribute it.

Cheers, s  

Thank you Scott. I appreciate your candor and maturity in coming back and posting this.

That is VERY mature of you.

Total credit for it.

Alex Jones

I applaud you for doing this, quick question, can you give us in your own words an example of what this document contains, just to get a better idea. Btw I doubt Boeing would give permission to distribute such a document anyway, seeing how even Pmdg themselves have trouble sharing with us certain documents of Boeing but you can certainly try

I doubt Boeing would give permission to distribute such a document anyway

You can say that again.  Boeing are very protective of their copyrights and intellectual property.  From business experience I know attempting to get their permission would be a long process that isn't guaranteed to be successful.  This is a document intended for internal company use only, so to release it would mean they'd have to check it over to make sure it didn't contain anything that shouldn't be released.  All of which costs money.  An original document would certainly be of interest to a collector of Boeing memorabilia, but I suspect the information it contains will be repeated in much more detail in the PMDG manuals.

There is an old English saying, once bitten, twice shy.  In Scott's position I'd be more than happy with having done the right thing by apologising, and then receiving Tom's generous acceptance.  Opening up the can of worms again with Boeing would need very careful consideration.

ki9cAAb.jpg

Scott-

Thanks for coming back and owning the error, even if it was innocent.

Sometimes that is all it takes.

In reference to your request:  I am unsure who you'd approach for something like that.  Boeing are pretty tight about giving permission to post their materials- hence we don't post the manuals for our licensed products, etc...

Sorry I cannot help!

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com