Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

captain420

How to set up hurricane and fly in it?

I know opusfsx has a historic weather feature, but for example, lets say I wanted to simulate a flight into a hurricane. How would I go about doing that? Let's use Hurricane Katrina as an example. Do I just find the exact date and time and let opusfsx download it?

Currently we are using NOAA historic data which goes back 24 hours (we will be extending this to 36 hours). If you wish to fly in bad weather then there are websites like http://www.stormchase.us/Radar.html which show you where the bad weather is so you can go fly there.

When you find some interesting weather you can actually save it via the Weather dialog (Save Current Weather as Static Theme button) which saves the current Dynamic Weather as a named static theme. The theme covers an area of about 250km (160 miles) in each direction around your aircraft. You can choose to save the theme with any name provided it is not prefixed with 'Opus'. On subsequent flights you can reload your named theme at any location you wish.

Cheryl

I see, so there's no way I can set up opusfsx for hurricanes since there's none currently available within the last 24 hours?

There is another way by importing your own METARs using our file import facility. You can either import your own historic METARs for the current area or import a single METAR with the ICAO GLOB which means it can be used at any location.

Cheryl

I see, so there's no way I can set up opusfsx for hurricanes since there's none currently available within the last 24 hours?

Your best bet would be to Google METARS that were in the vicinity of past hurricanes, I am sure they were documented. Copy that into a text file and import into OPUS, enjoy.