Sign in to follow this  
rafzio

Using Boeing 737 PMDG with ATC of FSX

Hallo,

I'm trying to fly PMDG Boeing with annoucements of integrated ATC of FSX, Until TOD-point it is functionning without problems. Because the ATC is responsible of selection the runway for arrival, I can configure it on FMC after ATC announces it. Often it occurs after the plane passed the TOD point and can't reach the descend path. How to overcome this? For now I'm saving my flight before reaching TOD, and after I get the annoucement about approach I reload the flight so I can configure FMC before reaching TOD. This isn't very realistic.

with regards

Rafal Ziolkowski

Hi! Fsx ATC is wildly inaccurate, using it and hoping for any resemblance of reality is perhaps too much of am expectation. From your questions it looks like you would really benefit from flying the two excellent tutorials that come with the NGX. You'll find they answer a lot of your questions. Regards

Suggest start your descent early, say 5-10nm before TOD.  You'll find this also in the tutorials.

You can also use the FL Change function instead of a Vnav descent. You can get a much faster rate of descent usually (therefore catching up with the descent path). Also, try deploying your speedbrakes (to the flight detent), as this will increase your rate of descent in FL Change mode even further. In terms of what to put in the FMC - you can always take an educated guess as to what runway it will be based on wind direction.

Thanks for so many answers. I hava absolvet the first tutorial flight. It went well. But the second tutorial is very time conusming. I have something overseen, and there too many steps to check, so I stopped to continue the second tutorial. 

I see another solution: I should start descend as computed, and after I get the runway and configure FMC for the runway, I should change to hold altitude mode until I cross again new vertical path. So I try this today. But I'm not sure if this is a correct solution. I think, that in reality the pilots get the arrival runways from Control Tower before arriving. The wind direction can always change, so even if the pilot configured arrival before start, it can change and with this he can be assinged for another runway to land. Sorry for bad english.

with regards

Rafal Ziolkowski

I'm trying to fly PMDG Boeing with annoucements of integrated ATC of FSX

Don't bother.  The FSX ATC is not at all realistic.

I think, that in reality the pilots get the arrival runways from Control Tower before arriving.

They get this from the approach controller about 20-50nm out.

The wind direction can always change, so even if the pilot configured arrival before start, it can change and with this he can be assinged for another runway to land.

While this is true, ATC isn't just going to instantly flip the whole entire airport unless the wind changed direction drastically (unlike FSX).  Basically, the tower controller calls the approach controller to advise him that they will be changing runways, they'll agree on which aircraft will be the last to get the current assignment, and where they'll start issuing the new runway.

You normally get that assignment about 20-50nm out.  Throw a runway in at about that time, and don't worry about it changing.  If it changes, it changes.  Additionally, and this will probably blow the minds of some simmers: airports will run operations when it's not pointed directly into the wind, to include tailwind components.

Kyle Rodgers