Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gregg_Seipp

The challenge

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Just wanted to say this.  This pic wasn't so much about the shot as it was the challenge.  I managed to get this thing on the helipad 3 times but I "died" about 20 times during the process.  Hovering a helicopter is constant flying for me...constantly adjusting to hold it in place, move it slightly forward or sideways.  When you're in your own downdraft it behaves far differently than when you're flying forward, backward or sideways and the transitions are diifficult to get used to.  Like I said, I have a lot more respect and admiration now for what these guys do.

FWIW, a guy in our VA occasionally flies a helicopter.  He has always said that you have to fly one of those things things 100% of the time.  No relaxing even for a second.  I tried one twice.  Twice because I couldn't believe it was that hard to fly and easy to crash.  The second try verified what I had thought the first time--yep it sure was that hard to fly.  Much respect for your getting as far as you did.

Incidentally, my guy can fly one fairly well now and can hover and land almost (note--almost) exactly where he desires.

Nice shot too.