Sign in to follow this  
scotchegg

Who says XP's clouds are no good?!

It should be working; I've just checked.

The link just does not work for me.  I saw nothing in the thread.  I had to go up one level and click at the attachment icon to see the shots.  Nice.  Btw, which plane were you flying?  I am new to XPX and the default GA planes just don't feel right.

Thanks

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

Uwe, these are actually billboards, just smaller and a lot more.

Err, well ... in my memory they were 3D :lol:. But while thinking about it (and having read again a little bit about it), the billboards in the near vicinity are indeed (very) small and the ones farther away larger. There is an interesting article about the required "horsepower" to compute clouds.

However, you could consider even real clouds (at least in your vicinity) like billboards in an "extreme" kind of way :wink:: every waterdrop could be considered as an (extremely) small billboard, as you will always see only its front, and the smaller the billboard/waterdrop, the smaller the infamous billboard effect. Viewed in this light, the XP10 clouds are modeling the real ones in a very clever manner  ... of course in a different scale than in reality (quotation from the before mentioned article "The current best-of-the-best video cards are 51 million times too slow to draw clouds this way. Clearly, we need a totally new strategy for drawing clouds in X-Plane 10, because no home users have 51 million video cards lying around.").

My sceneries (excerpt): LPMA Madeira, LGSR Santorini, the city of Fürth (Germany), ...