Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

scotchegg

Who says XP's clouds are no good?!

OK, they may not be great, but recently they seem to have improved a lot over when I first checked XP out at the beginning of the year. Even with cloud detail way down (I have mine at 60%) the game is capable of producing some pretty realistic looking weather:

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

If they can figure out how to make sunny-day glare, atmospheric haze and white clouds, they'd be near perfect.

And the clouds aren't wandering/turn around you (no billboards), as they are real 3D clouds.

Clouds only look good like this when they are low and in mountaineous terrain. The problem is at a distance, and at high altitude, they look like balls of cotton candy. They lack detail and definition.

Agreed, they need some work. Hopefully someone will get round to making some payware weather addon soon, now that momentum (and presumably sales) are growing for XP.

By 'billboards' do you guys mean 2D bitmaps? I guess that makes it easier to make replacement textures?

By 'billboards' do you guys mean 2D bitmaps? I guess that makes it easier to make replacement textures?

Yes and np.While it uses 2D bitmaps, they wotk totally different than anything other simulators use.These bitmaps are only tiny smoke puffs that are drawn according to the weather informations, X-Plane has.The problem is: These informations don't know anything about sharp borders or a good 3D strzctzre. With a decent weather injection the effects could be dramatic

It should be working; I've just checked.

The link just does not work for me.  I saw nothing in the thread.  I had to go up one level and click at the attachment icon to see the shots.  Nice.  Btw, which plane were you flying?  I am new to XPX and the default GA planes just don't feel right.

Thanks

Uwe, these are actually billboards, just smaller and a lot more.

Err, well ... in my memory they were 3D :lol:. But while thinking about it (and having read again a little bit about it), the billboards in the near vicinity are indeed (very) small and the ones farther away larger. There is an interesting article about the required "horsepower" to compute clouds.

However, you could consider even real clouds (at least in your vicinity) like billboards in an "extreme" kind of way :wink:: every waterdrop could be considered as an (extremely) small billboard, as you will always see only its front, and the smaller the billboard/waterdrop, the smaller the infamous billboard effect. Viewed in this light, the XP10 clouds are modeling the real ones in a very clever manner  ... of course in a different scale than in reality (quotation from the before mentioned article "The current best-of-the-best video cards are 51 million times too slow to draw clouds this way. Clearly, we need a totally new strategy for drawing clouds in X-Plane 10, because no home users have 51 million video cards lying around.").