Sign in to follow this  
jarhead565

Utter Confusion

Hello all,

Last week I decided to do a clean install of Windows 7 on my laptop and today I finally re-installed FSX along with both service packs. After doing a defrag and restarting, I fired up FSX. After adjusting the settings to how they were before, I was shocked that I was only getting around 10 FPS. Before, I was getting 20-25 FPS in the A2A Mustang, my airplane of choice.

I was sure that everything was updated before pulling my hair out, but I still can't seem to figure out what is going on. My computer specs are listed in my signature. Also, as far as my settings go in FSX, I keep them on the low end of the scale.

Thanks for any help or suggestions!  

Jared Listinsky

Make sure all your drivers are updated after your re-install of Windows. This includes motherboard, sound and video card drivers. Also all your power settings in Windows have changed so your CPU may be throttling down.

I ALWAYS get worse results after reinstalling the OS. This is usually due to two reasons:

1. I tweaked my system more then I remembered. I have a few FSX-tweaks I always use, but I also tweak my system and sometimes I forget what I tweaked or changed.

2. After a reinstall I am focusing on performance a LOT more than when I was simply flying before the reinstall, so I tend to see every hiccup and stutter and everything else I got used on the old OS. I also use the fps-counter a lot more after a reinstall, which I usually stop doing after a while.

Thanks for all of the replies so far! I am still working on a fix to get everything back to how it was. Any more suggestions are appreciated! 

Jared Listinsky

Thanks for all of the replies so far! I am still working on a fix to get everything back to how it was. Any more suggestions are appreciated! 

Did you run FSX before installing each Service Pack? It does a compile on first activation after a fresh install and it's my understanding that if you skip this and go straight to installing the SPs, you'll get problems (though I can not tell you specifically what problems.)

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

Did you run FSX before installing each Service Pack? It does a compile on first activation after a fresh install and it's my understanding that if you skip this and go straight to installing the SPs, you'll get problems (though I can not tell you specifically what problems.)

Yes, I did run FSX after each "install". 

I did find a solution to my problem! I went into the Catalyst Control Center and changed all of the 3D/AA settings. Instead of having the application control them, I set them manually. This fixed all of my problems! 

Thanks for all of the help! 

Jared Listinsky