Sign in to follow this  
pilotguy251

Qualitywings 757 speed?

I have the qw757, and for some reason it seems like the speed tape is set to KIAS, I would like it to be set to true airspeed. When cruising, I can only fly at speed 330, which that's the max IAS speed in the aircraft cfg. This problem has just started, as before, I could cruise at my normal speed of 460 kts. I don't know what happened as this has just begun. P.S. I have checked and set the default settings as i prefer to have it set to true airspeed. Also, isn't 330 ias pretty fast in knots?

As far as I know the speed tape will always show indicated airspeed(or actually calibrated), not true! Besides, cruising at 330KIAS is actually pretty fast already, at what altitude do you cruise? Because at typical cruising levels (above FL300) I've never managed to be much over 270KIAS, which still is about 500 knots on the ground.

Another case of indicated versus true confusion.

The speed tapes in the real acft display indicated air speed.  There may be a small text display of true (but most likely mach number) under the tape.  If you want to know how fast you're going just check the FMS - it will show ground speed (which is true + wind component).

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I cruise at around FL340-360. I was so used to flying in true airspeed I think. It used to allow me fly above that for some reason I could set my speed control to 450 knots and actually be at 450. Now the red line shows up at 330. It has seemed to bug the entire sim as far as payware the PMDG ngx only allowed me to cruise at 250 all the way up. That's where the red lines were. But I think that was because of the cost index I set, but it doesn't matter for the 757

Just use indicated airspeed. The 450 of true airspeed or whatever you were using isn't necessarily any faster than for example 270 knots of indicated airspeed. IAS is what real airplanes use too, not true airspeed. 

Now that I think about it - isn't there a settings option somwhere (in the realism page?) that allows you to choose between IAS and TAS, at least in the default aircraft (and hence most likely also in the QW75)?

As for the NGX restricting your speed to 250 during the whole climbing phase: Did you make sure that the flaps are fully retracted and gear is up? At least the flaps could cause the red line showing (I'm not sure whether the gear has an influence on that, but it sure adds a darn lot of drag if you forget to retract it, you probably won't even make 200kts climbing with the gear still down)

ive checked the realism settings, and the alarms would be sounding if the gear and flaps were still down in the ngx

From a realism standpoint, you would want the airspeed indicator to show indicated airspeed rather than true airspeed. At 34,000 to 36,000 feet, you would want to use Mach for speed, and typical cruise speed is Mach 0.80, although I have been on 757s that pushed it up to Mach 0.82 before.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

Nice. When I switch it over it shows Mach .80 so I guess I have everything right.

Yeah. If you use the FMC and you have a cost index set, if you're using VNAV, it would switch it over for you. I use a cost index of 50, which gives me a cruise speed of Mach 0.80. The lower the cost index, the slower you'll go since the lower it is, the more it tries to save fuel.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.