Sign in to follow this  
FlyDelta

Satellite Images in FS9

Wanted to know if it's actually possible to literally have to ground textures in FS9 be the same as you would see when viewing satellite view on Google Maps or looking at Google Earth?

Yes. It is possible. It's called photoreal scenery. There are a lot of products out there that do this both freeware or pay ware. Alternatively, you can make your own or also check into using Tile Proxy. Google any of these terms and you should get a bunch of hits.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

Yes. It is possible. It's called photoreal scenery. There are a lot of products out there that do this both freeware or pay ware. Alternatively, you can make your own or also check into using Tile Proxy. Google any of these terms and you should get a bunch of hits.

TileProxy I heard is a lot of work and you need lots of space to store all of the data. Is that true?

FS Earth Tiles

Do they sell individual areas or continents or can you buy the whole world? I fly mainly east coast of the US and Northern Europe.

FS Earth Tiles is a utility you use to make your own. They don't sell any products. Yes it takes a lot of space. Any kind of photo real will...tile proxy, scenery you make yourself, scenery you buy from say mega scenery earth, or vfr Germany etc. they all take a lot of space. I have an external 3TB drive to store all mine.

You can't buy the whole world either. There are only regions/countries available right now.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

Do they sell individual areas or continents or can you buy the whole world? I fly mainly east coast of the US and Northern Europe

FS Earth Tiles is a free program which allows you to create photoscenery from satellite imagery which you can also obtain through it.

Alternatively you could use Sbuilder , it requires FS9 SDK to be installed, not sure if FS Earth Tiles does. 

Anyway using those tools you should be able to create photosceneries anywhere in the world as long as you can find adequate images for the area. I think with both programs it's possible to download image data directly from various different servers.

FS Earth Tiles is a free program which allows you to create photoscenery from satellite imagery which you can also obtain through it.

Alternatively you could use Sbuilder , it requires FS9 SDK to be installed, not sure if FS Earth Tiles does.

Anyway using those tools you should be able to create photosceneries anywhere in the world as long as you can find adequate images for the area. I think with both programs it's possible to download image data directly from various different servers.

Ah okay sorry misunderstanding, I didn't realize it was free. I will look into it more to tonight! Thanks for the help!

Wanted to know if it's actually possible to literally have to ground textures in FS9 be the same as you would see when viewing satellite view on Google Maps or looking at Google Earth?

The most prolific photorealistic scenery series for FS9 are the Megascenery products, sold by PC Aviator and other sites. They have frequent sales where they sell the FS9 products for almost nothing, so keep your eyes peeled for those. For the US East coast there's  NY, Wash DC, Atlanta - also Dallas, Denver, Phoenix, Northern and Southern California and NW Pacific.

There isn't much for Europe that I'm familiar with, but if you haven't got UT Europe then I recommend it. It's not photorealistic but it really does enhance the terrain significantly.

Blueskyscenery also offers some photoreal coverage for FS9, mainly the western U.S.  I've used it in FSX and it works well there.  I haven't tried it with FS9 yet but since it's from the same author, I suspect it will look good there too.  I've had a wonderful flight today using the scenery, take a look at my screenshots in the screenshots forum.  I am certain the scenery will look very good in FS9.

The website is here:

http://www.blueskyscenery.com/

I used Tileproxy for several years, but I find this scenery works better in the simulator as long as you don't need to fly in parts of the world which it doesn't cover.  I would say that the Blueskyscenery covers areas of amazing beauty, but that is from my perspective.

Regards,

John

Thanks guys for all the help. Kiwiflyer, that looks like a quality product but as I said I mostly fly east coast. They didn't seem to have anything I fly in. But thanks anyways! :)