Sign in to follow this  
G MIDY

Totally random CTD's (Unknown & NTDLL.DLL)

Hi guys, I've had FSX running for a while now stable but recently it has just taken a turn for the worst. I have always thought it was OOM or just the odd crash because I run ENB but having uninstalled it I still get the problems, here are the errors. I also have my CPU running absolutely rock stable and it has been extensively stress tested and the temperatures are perfect at around 35-40c idle at 4.5Ghz, when pushed it generally gets to around 60c, the highest I've recorded is 72c on one core. What doesn't help is the error I get is completely non specific, the faulting module code is shown as unknown or the ntdll.dll so I have no idea how to even begin to troubleshoot the problem, mainly too because reproducing it is difficult.. Any ideas would be great.

This error showed upon loading into Aerosoft Mikonos with the Level-D 767.

Faulting application name: fsx.exe, version: 10.0.61472.0, time stamp: 0x475e17d3
Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x05bb002a
Faulting process id: 0x1594
Faulting application start time: 0x01ce89606b21cf70
Faulting application path: C:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\fsx.exe
Faulting module path: unknown
Report Id: 2f86eda7-f554-11e2-a3b0-902b34584c0a

This is another error, seemingly totally random.

Faulting application name: fsx.exe, version: 10.0.61472.0, time stamp: 0x475e17d3
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7601.17725, time stamp: 0x4ec49b8f
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0005b66c
Faulting process id: 0x518
Faulting application start time: 0x01ce895f37107185
Faulting application path: C:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\fsx.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll
Report Id: c4906389-f552-11e2-a3b0-902b34584c0a

Lawrence Ashworth

XhCuv5H.jpg

Both crashes indicate you had a memory_access_violation (Exception Code 0xc0000005) which is common for most FSX crashes.  It could mean high settings or it could mean FSX was trying to call a gauge, a texture, a sound, etc., and could not find it so the app crashed.  The second error indicates the faulting module was the ntdll.dll which definitely indicates high fsx/display driver settings and/or a back overclock, overheating, memory configuration in the bios is not set properly.  The ENB module can cause this type of crash too or a bad product installation.  You can investigate this by running another aircraft other than the LevelD 767 and see if the crash occurs.  If it does, then it could be the Mikonos scenery.  You can disable that in the scenery library and see if the crashes continue.  That way you can narrow down the cause.  The LevelD 767 and the Mikonos scenery takes up more resources than the default so it's testing your settings.  Could be a bad "tweak" in your Fsx.cfg.  This is why a lot of problems are solved by renaming the fsx.cfg and then restarting FSX and letting the sim rebuild the fsx.cfg.

You should run AppCrashView - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/app_crash_view.html and copy and paste the results here as the FSX error report above does not provide a lot of information.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Everything strangely seems to be fixed now, I've completely reset the FSX.cfg and I've also restored my dll.xml from a backup as FSX has crashed a lot on startup (may of been corrupted?) but so far after a lot of flying today, no crashes.

Lawrence Ashworth

XhCuv5H.jpg