Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ron Attwood

A Salutory tale of housekeeping

Suffering slowdowns and various calamitous goings on? Before you start blaming the latest scenery/aircraft/add-on take a look at the embarrassing ramblings of silly old sod!

THIS IS THE THREAD

This is the salutory bit:

My most profound apologies to Carenado. My problems were absolutely NOTHING to do with them. It turned out that my overclocked i7 920 got too hot and rightfully decided it was best to revert to 2.7Ghz instead of the 4.2Ghz it has been very happy with for the last 2 years!

Why the sudden dislike of the o/c? A look inside at the CPU cooler (Noctua something) I noticed an inordinate amount of FILTH! :blush2:  Checking the temperatures showed a high of 85C when running FSX and a low of 60C when sitting on it's thumbs.

So, a bucket of warm soapy water, an industrial strength scrubbing brush and a determined glint in my eye I set to for a bit of spring cleaning. :rolleyes:

Half an hour later I fired 'er up. Idling temps now 45C and with FSX running an average of 63ishC and she never went over 71C. Oh, she's back to 4.2Ghz. :good:

Lesson learned. Keep it clean and don't jump to conclusions.

:blush:

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I just dusted out my PC last week. And this week I have allergies from the dust haha.