Sign in to follow this  
Chuck Dreier

My Computer and FSX question

'Yet another question regarding a computer and its specs.  Please bear with me.

This has nagged me for several years but I'm just now getting around to asking about it.  To make the story short, several years ago I built a computer to run FSX but then didn't like the way FSX ran compared to FS9.  In all fairness I may have expected too much, set the sliders too high, or whatever.  In any event I removed FSX from my hd and never looked back as I have been extremely happy with FS9 and the major $$$ I've spent on add-ons to make it look really good.

But as more and more products come to market for FSX I'm thinking about going back to it - or at least adding it to my hd.  Here are the specs of my system:

ASUS P6T Deluxe v2 Intel motherboard

Intel I7-920 cpu o/c to 3.9 gb

Prolimatech Mega Shadow Deluxe CPU cooler

Corsair Dominator RAM 6 gb (3x2 gb) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

EVGA GTX 560TI Ultra

Creative Labs  X-Fi Titanium Pro sound card

WD 1 tb Caviar 7200 HD (operating system and programs)

WD 750 gb Caviar 7200 HD (Flight Sims)

Plextor 24x DVD/CD writer

Corsair 850 HX power supply

Corsair 800D full tower case

Windows 7 Home Premium

I wonder if those in the know can tell me if this is adequate for FSX as it was originally intended?  Did I start out expecting too much and do you have any suggestions on how to give FSX another try?  Needless to say, I'd like to be happy with it.

Thanks!!!

Hi Chuck, my pc specs are similar to yours. Go ahead and run FSX without any doubt. Maybe you have to set slider not to max but you can enjoy FSX world and its addon.

I usually fly with pmdg NGX and MD11, and own RealAir Turbine Duke, P2002 Sierra from Ant's Airplane and Flight1 Cessna Citation Mustung, and last Airbus X from Aerosoft and I am completely satisfied.

In my opinion isn't worth to spend too much for a bugged sim like FSX is. FSX is too much cpu bonded and if you want to run it smooth with all slider maxed out you have to oc your cpu to >4.x, this is way many users have fastest and expensive cpu. But remember that this is a 2006 game and moderm cpu till are stressed and don't perform well with FSX. But this is my personal opinion.

Anyway go with FSX!

Riccardo

OS: Windows 10-64 bit, CPU: i7-7700K @4.20 GHz, GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 8GB GDDR5, RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz, MB: MSI Z270

Thank you Riccardo. Do you think there will be any conflict having both FS9 and FSX on the same drive?

No Chuck, no problem. Be aware to not install FSX under standard Win7 defualt directory to avoid system incompatibility problem.

Install FSX under c:\FSX or better under another drive, also the same you have fs9 insalled.

Riccardo

OS: Windows 10-64 bit, CPU: i7-7700K @4.20 GHz, GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 8GB GDDR5, RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz, MB: MSI Z270

As has been stated, do not instal FSX in the x86/program/files default directory. Create your own folder and instal it there. Your specs are perfectly adequate for running FSX. Bear in mind that compromises still have to be made with FSX settings on rigs screaming at over 5Ghz. Beware of claims in these forums of being able to run FSX with all sliders maxed out at 30 FPS or more. Anyone should be able to get high FPS in the default aircraft at 30,000 ft. Low and slow in your PMDG NGX at KJFK is another matter.Regards

As has been stated, do not instal FSX in the x86/program/files default directory. Create your own folder and instal it there. Your specs are perfectly adequate for running FSX. Bear in mind that compromises still have to be made with FSX settings on rigs screaming at over 5Ghz. Beware of claims in these forums of being able to run FSX with all sliders maxed out at 30 FPS or more. Anyone should be able to get high FPS in the default aircraft at 30,000 ft. Low and slow in your PMDG NGX at KJFK is another matter.Regards

Perfectly agreed with Adam.

Riccardo