Sign in to follow this  
raybaudi

Approach / Final Approach Decelerate

Hello, again.

Please find here below some questions I would really need somebody to answer them:

1) Do you find it really difficult to slow down this a/c on the Final APP segment or APP segment if the GS was caught from the above? 

Note: Even with speedbrakes deployed, flaps 10, and gear down, if I am one notch above the GS (supposing Precision Approach), the speed won't decrease. Instead, it will increase progressively up to 250-270 IAS. 

How can you slow it down if you are above the vertical path to the runway?

2) The gear will sometimes extend during APP at the same speed or not. I'm talking here about 160 KT.

Any help?

Thanks a lot!.

I believe the real 737s have a characteristic of not slowing quickly. If true then I think the TM732 is accurately modelled.

Sounds like you are both too high and too fast. You should always be intercepting GS from below, so I suggest you start your descent a bit earlier and plan ahead. When manoeuvring in the terminal area you should be aiming for max 200 kias, reducing to 180 when you intercept the localiser, and then 160 at GS capture. If you need to add more flap then do so.

Dont understand your question about the gear, sorry.

Peter Schluter

Hey, Peter. Thanks again for your help.

Yes, I've been trying to follow normal procedures for the 732. The problem begins when ATC clears you too late for a determined altitude, expecting you to set both accordingly and timely the APP configuration, turning out almost impossible if you get to catch the GS or the vertical path above the depicted one.

As you suggested, I've decided to plan ahead and sacrificing time, I've started to reduce speed to 180 a little earlier than normally would.

Disregard the gear thing, I think it's associated to extension/retraction speed.

Thanks!