Sign in to follow this  
EPICfan

All keyboard shortcuts gone after installing MCE

For some reason, I lost all native keyboard shortcuts with my FS9, such as CTRL+S for the Bird's Eye View. I recently installed Multi Crew Experience. This is the only alteration to my sim in a long time. Do you think it's the culprit?

Best regards,

Holger

Holger TillmannSIM: FS9/2004 // FSX<p>CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 4x3.40GHz (for FSX OCed to 4.2), GPU: ASUS GTX 760 Direct CU II OC, GeForce® 9800 GTX +MB: ASRock Z87 Extreme6 Z87 DDR3RAM: Crucial 4GB PC3-12800 DDR3-1600 CL8 Ballistix Tactical

Not necessarily - I have occasionally lost my custom key mappings when I've had a software problem, such as a freeze of fsx, or one of my addons. When I next load fsx, the controls have gone. To safeguard against it, I now  keep a backup copy of all my key mappings, so I can just copy it back in if it happens again.

c:\users\users\yourname\appdata\roaming\Microsoft\fsx folder\controls\standard.xml    is the one you need to backup.

For some reason, I lost all native keyboard shortcuts with my FS9, such as CTRL+S for the Bird's Eye View. I recently installed Multi Crew Experience. This is the only alteration to my sim in a long time. Do you think it's the culprit?

Best regards,

Holger

I can categorically deny this.

When you install MCE Demo, we don't even touch aircraft.cfg or panel.cfg files for any aircraft.

MCE doesn't run as a gauge grafted to a panel. It would be irresponsible to do that. The speech engine running inside the FSX process would gobble-up vast amounts of the limited virtual address space resources, which means less of it is available for scenery or aircraft.

We run absolute minimum code inside FSX process (fsInsider.dll + one ad-hoc dll based on which aircraft is loaded). MCE (and the heavy speech engine and audio dlls) run externally. Should anything wrong happen with MCE, your flight will never be compromised.

Once you un-install, the next time you start the sim, you will get a message from us reminding you to manually delete "fsInsider.dll" at which point you are back to your FSX pre-MCE installation.

The only file we edit is fsx.cfg. To make ATC more realistic, we simply switch off those options.

ShowATCText=0

UsePilotVoice=0

PilotVoice=0

The above is to ensure when you talk to ATC, you don't hear MS pilot transmitting as he would do when you press a key. Options can be restored using FSX General settings dialog.

As antonmorse suggested, it could be a damaged file caused by FSX crashing on exit (that's when it saves its settings), possibly caused by some add-on not freeing resources on exit.

Problem solved; I installed an old FS9.CFG, and the keyboard shortcuts came back. Just for the record: Those which were gone were native shortcuts, not self made ones. Sorry for the confusion,

Holger

Holger TillmannSIM: FS9/2004 // FSX<p>CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 4x3.40GHz (for FSX OCed to 4.2), GPU: ASUS GTX 760 Direct CU II OC, GeForce® 9800 GTX +MB: ASRock Z87 Extreme6 Z87 DDR3RAM: Crucial 4GB PC3-12800 DDR3-1600 CL8 Ballistix Tactical