Sign in to follow this  
pilottj

ADF option for LRF?

Hey guys

Fantastic airplane, I am really enjoying it.  One question, I noticed in the LRF there is no ADF option while the LR does.  I realize ADF's are on their way out, certainly in the West.  However many 3rd world countries still use ADFs, and considering the 777LRF's world travel (cargo to anywhere) capability, I would think an ADF would be a handy thing, especially if flying a simulated aid relief flight to a 3rd world region.

Anyway, I was just wondering if the LRF could have an ADF installed as an optional item.

Cheers

TJ

A bit late, I know. But was there any word from PMDG on it?

I'd love to see an ADF option on the freighter too since I don't fly the passenger version a lot.

Dave P. Woycek

Found with the handy-dandy search function:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/418800-adf/?hl=%2B777+%2Badf#entry2843378

(it's not an official statement from PMDG, but it explains partially why having the ADF isn't so much of an issue with so many places having a GPS overlay approach)

Kyle Rodgers

Fly the pax version and pretend, you're sitting in a freighter ...

You could also alias the pax panels to the freighter panels (losing all the system differences between versions on the way), but that's not supported - neither by PMDG nor by me!   :P

Yes, sure, one can argue the NDBs away (no longer needed, being phased out, gps overlays available etc) but that's not my point.

I'd understand if ADF support was not there at all and would have to be newly developed. But giving the 777 pax version the ADFs and denying it to the freighter guys is just beyond me.

Dave P. Woycek

But giving the 777 pax version the ADFs and denying it to the freighter guys is just beyond me.

...then go take it up with Boeing.  They've been delivering the F model without ADFs since they started delivering Fs.

Kyle Rodgers

I like how someone disliked my post.  Don't shoot the messenger.

ADFs are outdated equipment.  NDB approaches are relatively few and far between (yes, I know there are more outside of the States, but from what I understand those areas usually have an RNAV overlay, which doesn't require the use of the NDB - and yes, I know some destinations in Asia that aren't based on WGS84, and things can get sketchy when RNAV without raw).

Remember that, in the world of aviation, if you have equipment it has to be working.  If it doesn't work, it needs to be MELd (in the airline environment, particularly).  The more stuff you have in the aircraft, the more stuff that has the potential to break.  Not having the ADF, which I'll almost never use, means that, as an operator, I don't have to worry about a paper trail of MELing and fixing it any time it breaks (and if I placard it INOP for the rest of the life of the aircraft, it's just taking up space/weight over hundreds of legs, and that fuel adds up).

If I'm not going to use it that often, why leave it in there for the hassle of maintenance?

One of the first planes I ever flew had LORAN in it.  It has since been removed.  Why?  LORAN serves no purpose for aviation now, so it's a waste of time to maintain paper on it.  Cessnas stopped being offered with LORAN receivers quite some time ago, despite LORAN-C being available through 2010.  Why, even though it could still be useful?  GPS.

No ADFs in the F.  Why, even though it could still be useful?  RNAV.

The phasing out of equipment offered on various models is not a new thing in aviation.  I'm sure if an operator beat down Boeing's door enough, they'd offer it to them, but it should tell you something in the fact that nobody (to my knowledge) has been doing so.

Kyle Rodgers

So maybe someone disliked your post because it is factually wrong B) 

There are 77F, which were delivered by Boeing with ADF. And like the thread starter does, I don't like it that the PMDG 77F has no option of adding ADFs, despite real 77F having those. 

I like how someone disliked my post.  Don't shoot the messenger.

Regards, always three greens and happy landings,

Max

Aerospace Engineer and Private Pilot
TriStarbanner_zpsefe0294f.jpg
Flightdiary

Boeing do (or used to) deliver 777 freighters with an ADF option. That could have changed over the years.

Rob Prest

Boeing do (or used to) deliver 777 freighters with an ADF option. That could have changed over the years.

Well seems still to be available - at least Lufthansa Cargo has ADFs installed on their 777 Freighters - and they are fresh off the manufacturing line :P

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=556812584410531&set=a.169311429827317.40425.165431893548604&type=1&theater (->ADF L and ADF R in the NAV RAD page are there)

EDIT:

Ethiopian Cargo is having it too - see at 4:11 - this particular airframe was delivered in late 2012 ^_^

There are 77F, which were delivered by Boeing with ADF.

...to what operators?

EDIT: DLH, apparently.

Either way, I only had the interwebs to rely on, since no Fs graced me with their presence at IAD.

That could have changed over the years.

From my Googling of it all, there were people saying that they haven't delivered one to their company with ADF for the past five years, but that would put it back to its initial release and wouldn't quite make sense.

I mean, if it's an option Boeing actually offers people, then I'd say we should have it, but at the same time, I don't really see it as a huge loss if we don't get it.

The NGX needs MLS in SP1!!!

Kyle Rodgers

At least AeroLogic and Lufthansa Cargo have ADFs in their 77F, so a minimum of 10 planes by today.

...to what operators?

Regards, always three greens and happy landings,

Max

Aerospace Engineer and Private Pilot
TriStarbanner_zpsefe0294f.jpg
Flightdiary

Tell me an airline, which doesn't have it B) Probably there is only one, and PMDG saw just this one :P

...and so does FDX, apparently (just asked a guy I used to work with), so I stand corrected.

Might be worth raising a ticket to see if it can make it into SP1.

Kyle Rodgers