Sign in to follow this  
nktleung

Sharing a product

I had a look at EULA (and actually helping to enforce it in my community), in EULA item eYou may use the Software on a network ONLY IF each individual accessing the Software through the network has a copy licensed to that individual and installed on the machine from which they are accessing the network;

And in combination with the item TERMINATION, that means license will be removed from you if you fail to comply with the terms.  Just wondering, how will PMDG track/enforced in particular item e?  I understand there may be trade secret involved, but an answer I am looking for may simply be "there are mechanisms in place to enforce every EULA items"?

Cheers,

Brendan Chen

Learning to use and getting use to FSX!

Oh, dear God.

That and printing your own money is perfectly legal, as I recall.

It's not. I'm only kidding. In case that wasn't obvious. ;)

I had a look at EULA (and actually helping to enforce it in my community), in EULA item e, You may use the Software on a network ONLY IF each individual accessing the Software through the network has a copy licensed to that individual and installed on the machine from which they are accessing the network;

And in combination with the item TERMINATION, that means license will be removed from you if you fail to comply with the terms. Just wondering, how will PMDG track/enforced in particular item e? I understand there may be trade secret involved, but an answer I am looking for may simply be "there are mechanisms in place to enforce every EULA items"?

Cheers,

It's called copyright infringement and has both civil and criminal penalties. Security measures usually go far to preventing the majority of it, but infringement is as rampant as people are determined.

It's called copyright infringement and has both civil and criminal penalties. Security measures usually go far to preventing the majority of it, but infringement is as rampant as people are determined.

Of course!  What I meant was if people are sharing a serial code and both happens to just fly at the same time.  If there was no mechanism to "catch them out", how does PMDG (or one) knows they are infringing the copyright?

Brendan Chen

Of course! What I meant was if people are sharing a serial code and both happens to just fly at the same time. If there was no mechanism to "catch them out", how does PMDG (or one) knows they are infringing the copyright?

That's where the security comes in. I'm a lawyer, not a software developer, but I understand there are ways to link the registered serial with a particular computer (which is why you run into problems if you upgrade your CPU/motherboard). But there will always be ways around the protection. And it's unfortunate for us because infringement costs (the cost of protection measures and lost revenue) only serve to increase the price the rest of us have to pay for software.

That's where the security comes in. I'm a lawyer, not a software developer, but I understand there are ways to link the registered serial with a particular computer (which is why you run into problems if you upgrade your CPU/motherboard). But there will always be ways around the protection. And it's unfortunate for us because infringement costs (the cost of protection measures and lost revenue) only serve to increase the price the rest of us have to pay for software.

Why I ask these is because in my community, I have heard of people thinking to make a purchase of the product and halve the cost so "they" both get to use the key.  However, I've told that (with referenced quotes) that it is not permitted.  So whether or not they take my advice I have no control of...  I am asking these simply so that I know for sure and I can tell them that the EULA is indeed enforced.

While you're here and if you don't mind explaining, this EULA applies to the product holders (or end-users), what happens if the end-user it not within USA and violates the agreement, can they/how do they get prosecuted if found out by the e-media company?

Brendan Chen

While you're here and if you don't mind explaining, this EULA applies to the product holders (or end-users), what happens if the end-user it not within USA and violates the agreement, can they/how do they get prosecuted if found out by the e-media company?

The EULA is an agreement made on pruchase. If the "customer" violates it PMDG has every right to deactivate the product and deleate the key from their system so that the product will not work anymore without giving the customer their money back.

If the customer buys the product from PMDG they can make withever agreement they want (well, PMDG actually has to comply with the laws of their country) because in the end it is the customer who says that he agrees with the terms of pruchase on his own mind.

Ever saw this "I agree with the terms of pruchase" button you have to click before you can buy the product?

I really recommend a look into those terms of pruchase before clicking this checkbox, the question would have been perfectly answered.

Greetings from the 737 flightdeck!

Look no further than the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) Copyright Treaty. There are other treaties as well. Most countries are party to one or more of these treaties, with WIPO being the most recent and comprehensive.

Make no mistake, enforcing agreements internationally is tricky business, but governments recognize that, in a global economy like ours, where information and ideas know no boundaries, rules are essential in protecting technological development.

Look no further than the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) Copyright Treaty. There are other treaties as well. Most countries are party to one or more of these treaties, with WIPO being the most recent and comprehensive.

Make no mistake, enforcing agreements internationally is tricky business, but governments recognize that, in a global economy like ours, where information and ideas know no boundaries, rules are essential in protecting technological development.

Exactly what I was after Trevor, thanks for that!  I'll dig into it when I have anymore queries :)

Brendan Chen