Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MarkW

Takeoff & Climb technique

I wonder if a RW pilot could chime in and advise how they set up for takeoff and climb such that the aircraft does not shoot up like a rocket at 5000ft per min.  When I observe 777's taking off from CYYZ they seem to lumber slowly up into the sky.....and yes some are very heavy for flights to the Pacific rim but others are more lightly loaded for shorter flights to Vancouver for example.  I set up yesterday for a flight CYYZ-EGLL, I purposely gave the aircraft a heavy ZFW and loaded 120,000 lbs of fuel.  Even with 55C de-rate and CLB1 I was climbing at an incredible rate.  Any advice appreciated.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Not a RW pilot, so we're still waiting for one of them to chime in.

However…

I was just reading an excellent description of takeoff procedure in the FCTM. Page 95 and keep reading.

I wonder if a RW pilot could chime in and advise how they set up for takeoff and climb such that the aircraft does not shoot up like a rocket at 5000ft per min. When I observe 777's taking off from CYYZ they seem to lumber slowly up into the sky.....and yes some are very heavy for flights to the Pacific rim but others are more lightly loaded for shorter flights to Vancouver for example. I set up yesterday for a flight CYYZ-EGLL, I purposely gave the aircraft a heavy ZFW and loaded 120,000 lbs of fuel. Even with 55C de-rate and CLB1 I was climbing at an incredible rate. Any advice appreciated.

55c is not a derate, its an assumed temp. Try combining an assumed temp with a take off derate & use a higher climb derate.

5000 fpm isn't excessive, also consider the higher derate will burn more fuel. I guess it's a simism but real world you want the best climb perfomance not a slow lumbering climb to cruise.

One last thing, it is pointless watching an aircraft depart and trying to guess its weight, you have no idea what is in the cargo hold. Plenty of airlines add extra cargo with low pax loads and short routes, ideally the aircraft should always be departing at or near its MATOW to maximise profits.

Yes, I meant assumed temp....also true statement with regard to the extra cargo on flight to get to Max TOW.   I guess I just need to add more weight and increase the temp.