Sign in to follow this  
Revd

i7, GTX 480, 6 GB's RAM, is it worth me getting it?

Dear all

The heading more or less speaks for itself, just wondering if you guys can advise me. I've flight simming too long to spend nearly 60 quid on something, beautiful as it seems, that is going to run like a slide show. I've been there before too many times. I can't afford to upgrade, I'm a vicar and the Church of England feels its kudos will be too undermined if it materially over endowed us  - my rig was the dogs balls when I bought it but time has seen it superseded many times and PMDG  plainly considers that my vintage is now too creaking to get the most out of their designs. Anyway, how is everybody finding things with the 777 and is it worth me spending that kind of cash given the rig I have. I will appreciate all your views.

Thanks in advance

Neil

How many Ghz is the i7? (there's quite a bit of difference between an i7 970 and an i7 4770 afterall).

That's the bit that matters most for flightsim. 6GB ram is plenty, with FSX being 32gb it can only use 4gig before it runs out of any way to 'think' more, leaving a 6GB ram machine with 2GB left over for other things like the Operating System, other programs running outside flightsim etc.

Overclocking might push the available Ghz up a tad, though some of the processors can't do it all that well. We'd need an exact model number to confirm that.

the GTX480 is a bit old, but that's only going to effect textures and blurries rather than actual fps performance which is almost all GHz based.

If you don't run big addon sceneries or try to maximize the graphics options, even an i7 950 or so should be able to run the 777, though the fps might be down as far as single digits on occasion. Just don't try to run it on Orbx sceneries and it should be ok. I ran the NGX on an i7 950 for years and it ran fine (up till the HDD started dying, but hopefully your Hard drive is fine.)

Same spec as I have, though I am upgrading this Fall.

Runs pretty good.

spacer.png

I have a similar system as you. A i7 930 OC to 4.2ghz, GTX480 and 12G ram. It puts out not a spectacular performance, but managing around 15-18 fps running the PMDG 777 or 737NG, FSDT KLAX with AS2012, FTX Global, EZdok, UTX with 70% traffic density and 30 fps locked internally and occasionally flying on PilotEdge. That is acceptable performance for me. Of course, it is a result of many hours of research and tweaks.

Good luck.

Mike Han

I'm running an i7-920 overclocked to 3.6 and a GTX285 - no major complaints here

Scott
Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Thanks guys, food for thought. BTW, I see my topic is in twice. I thought this first post had failed because I had connection problems so did it again. Sorry moderator!