Sign in to follow this  
Groovin_DC-10

FS9 Water In FSX?

Hey folks,

Is there any way to use FS9 water in FSX?

I have a payware FS9 water add on that I really like (Real H2O V2).  I miss this water since migrating to FSX.  I'm currently using REX water for FSX which I really like as well (I also have FEX).  But the thing I really like about Real H2O for FS9 is the feeling of depth with the water especially when flying low.

Also, what about sky and sun textures?  Can the ones from FS9 be used in FSX.  The FS9 water add on I mentioned also included a sun and sky texture set that I really like.

Thanks

Is there any way to use FS9 water in FSX?
I have a payware FS9 water add on that I really like (Real H2O V2).  I miss this water since migrating to FSX.  I'm currently using REX water for FSX which I really like as well (I also have FEX).  But the thing I really like about Real H2O for FS9 is the feeling of depth with the water especially when flying low.

I think your the first person I have ever seen say they wish they could get FS9 style water in FSX, not that there is anything wrong with that since you like it, but I assume most of us like FSX water better, me included. Having said that, I don't think you can use FS9 water in FSX due to the way FSX uses the shaders to process it.

There are two options though to maybe make the water look the way you want in FSX.

1. Turn the water slider down to the lowest setting. Dont remember what the setting is called, but something like Low 1x. I tried it once a long time ago and it makes the water look a little more like FS9's water. Plus if you have REX water textures installed, you should still see the art work from those texture sheets, but without the sparkles and stuff.

2. The other option would be to use FSWaterConfig. http://www.strikingsoftware.com/fswc.shtml  

Using this tool you can alter the shaders to make the water look just about anyway you want it to look as well as get rig of the horrible sun and moon reflects or tone them down a bit. It also comes with a bunch of presets, my favorite being the one called Orions Favorite.

Also, what about sky and sun textures?  Can the ones from FS9 be used in FSX.  The FS9 water add on I mentioned also included a sun and sky texture set that I really like.

Dont know about the sun textures since i have never tried them, but I do know you can't use the sky textures. Using the sky textures will crash the sim since they are in a different format, still .bmp's but different compression I think. The only sky textures for FS9 that I know of that have been recompiled to work in FSX are Pablo Diaz's HDEv2 which can be found here->  http://simviation.com/1/search?submit=1&keywords=hde+ . Those are what I use personally since i find them to still be the most realistic sky textures I have tried yet and I own FEX, REX and AS2012, so that says alot.

On the sun you could try NickN's sun that is available for FSX here in the Avsim library.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I think your the first person I have ever seen say they wish they could get FS9 style water in FSX, not that there is anything wrong with that since you like it, but I assume most of us like FSX water better, me included. Having said that, I don't think you can use FS9 water in FSX due to the way FSX uses the shaders to process it.

There are two options though to maybe make the water look the way you want in FSX.

1. Turn the water slider down to the lowest setting. Dont remember what the setting is called, but something like Low 1x. I tried it once a long time ago and it makes the water look a little more like FS9's water. Plus if you have REX water textures installed, you should still see the art work from those texture sheets, but without the sparkles and stuff.

2. The other option would be to use FSWaterConfig. http://www.strikingsoftware.com/fswc.shtml  

Using this tool you can alter the shaders to make the water look just about anyway you want it to look as well as get rig of the horrible sun and moon reflects or tone them down a bit. It also comes with a bunch of presets, my favorite being the one called Orions Favorite.

Dont know about the sun textures since i have never tried them, but I do know you can't use the sky textures. Using the sky textures will crash the sim since they are in a different format, still .bmp's but different compression I think. The only sky textures for FS9 that I know of that have been recompiled to work in FSX are Pablo Diaz's HDEv2 which can be found here->  http://simviation.com/1/search?submit=1&keywords=hde+ . Those are what I use personally since i find them to still be the most realistic sky textures I have tried yet and I own FEX, REX and AS2012, so that says alot.

On the sun you could try NickN's sun that is available for FSX here in the Avsim library.

Thank you very much for the help.  No biggie as I like REX water just as much as Real H2O. 

On the link you provided, if I don't like what it does to my water, can I just re-install REX water and everything will be back to normal?  I'm worried that it may do some permanent changes.

I did try water on low 1X but didn't like the result.  Real H2O is light years better than 1X water setting in FSX.

After about an hour of google searches, I found this thread on a different forum... http://www.flightsimworld.com/forums/topic/120021-does-rep-fs9-water-work-in-fsx/

Not sure if possible at all but the poster who replied seemed confident that it will work.  I'm not sure however.  I do know that FS9 uses Shader 1 and FSX uses 1 and 2 (1X and 2X settings).

Here's a vid of the water add on I'm talking about.  It was created by the developer.  As you can see, the water looks fantastic and gives a nice feeling of depth and the inland murky water looks great.  Only downside is the way FS9 handle water animation.  The pulsating animation can be annoying, but I did find wave animation within the add on that minimizes this.  I think I will contact the developer and see what they have to say.  Because like you said, I'm probably one of the few people who want to try FS9 water in FSX lol.

Thanks for the heads up on the Pablo Diaz textures.  I still have that file in my HD from a few years back.  I do remember the sky textures being one of the best and it's actually very similar to the sky textures included in Real H2O.  Do you know if Pablo Diaz's work include an installer?  Not sure if it's been updated.  The version I have, I would have to manually copy and paste each sky texture.

Thanks again.

On the link you provided, if I don't like what it does to my water, can I just re-install REX water and everything will be back to normal?  I'm worried that it may do some permanent changes.
I did try water on low 1X but didn't like the result.  Real H2O is light years better than 1X water setting in FSX.

The link I provided for FSWC does not actually change the water textures themselves, it just changes the way the shaders depict the water. If you dont like the way the setting you try looks the program lets you reset the shaders to the default shaders so you dont have to worry about messing something up. There is no need to reinstall any REX textures though unless you want to try different combinations. 

That program lets you tweak the shaders on the fly without having to start or restart FSX which is cool because it lets you adjust the coloring and reflections real time. As well, it can help you darken the water or adjust it to give it more of a look your striving for.

BTW, FSWC on works in DX9 mode. If your using DX10 you'll have to find another way.

Do you know if Pablo Diaz's work include an installer?  Not sure if it's been updated.  The version I have, I would have to manually copy and paste each sky texture.

No there is no installer, just make sure you download the FSX version that I provided the link to. Its really easy to install the sky textures. All you do is select them all and drop them into the texture folder. If I remember correctly there are about 120 or so sky texture bmp's in the texture folder. You might want to copy these to a backup folder first before you overwrite them with Pablo's in case you want to easily revert. Or you could skip the back up and just reinstall the REX sky textures if you end up liking those better.

Just make sure that you dont install the FS9 sky set or it will crash the sim like I mentioned in my first post.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Make that two, FSX has some of the most hideous looking water considering it's supposed to be 'as real as it gets'. Just for example, check out 99.9% of all screenshots in the screenshot forum. Great shots ruined by average at best water visuals. Still having a hard time wondering why people go gaga over it....

well... I'm not about to say that FSX's water really has me going gaga,  It's not really all that impressive.  But if the alternative is fs9 water?  fsx wins hands down.  I think I've tried the addon that was mentioned back when I still had fs9, and it's ok,  it probably as good as you can get fs9 water to look, but you can't have reflections from anything other than the sun, and it's a low resolution blocky mess most of the time, if you are anywhere close to the surface.  now mention XPlane's water and at least we can have a discussion.

REX allows you to backup any texture combos that you like. Then you can restore.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

The link I provided for FSWC does not actually change the water textures themselves, it just changes the way the shaders depict the water. If you dont like the way the setting you try looks the program lets you reset the shaders to the default shaders so you dont have to worry about messing something up. There is no need to reinstall any REX textures though unless you want to try different combinations. 

That program lets you tweak the shaders on the fly without having to start or restart FSX which is cool because it lets you adjust the coloring and reflections real time. As well, it can help you darken the water or adjust it to give it more of a look your striving for.

BTW, FSWC on works in DX9 mode. If your using DX10 you'll have to find another way.

No there is no installer, just make sure you download the FSX version that I provided the link to. Its really easy to install the sky textures. All you do is select them all and drop them into the texture folder. If I remember correctly there are about 120 or so sky texture bmp's in the texture folder. You might want to copy these to a backup folder first before you overwrite them with Pablo's in case you want to easily revert. Or you could skip the back up and just reinstall the REX sky textures if you end up liking those better.

Just make sure that you dont install the FS9 sky set or it will crash the sim like I mentioned in my first post.

Thanks for your help.  I'll l give it a shot.

I was watching the video they provided and it there were a few scenes where the water looks very close to what I'm looking for.  I'm sure with enough tweaking, I can get the type of water I want.

I'm also going to install Pablo's sky textures.

Thanks again.