Sign in to follow this  
masneoquil

Technical Query - Flight Levels and Step Climb

Hello Captains,

I have a little technical query.

I have one of the Just Flight videos about the 777-200, and I've seen the captains do something I can't do on the PMDG one.

I'm aware that the one on the video it is not an LR so maybe is that.

What they are doing is instead of letting the FMC to calculate the Steps Climbs, they set an Initial Cruise FL, the step climb at 0 and then set the required FL restriction on the required waypoints along the route, as per the route planed by the dispatcher.

Now with our new and shinny flight planner (PFPX), we can make a flight with the steps climbs already specified on the route.

I honestly didn't look for it on the FCOM, so please don't be to harsh on me.  :Whistle:

I notice that if I set the cruise level on the init page to the final FL I can add the restrictions to the waypoints, but only the ones below that FL. But if I set my initial FL, that usually is lower than the final FL, I can't.

My question is: am I doing something wrong? is this modeled? is it something that is different on the LR?.

Thanks a lot!!

Maybe you should look at your PFPX FP, take the step-climb (highest cruising level) and make that your cruising alt when setting up your FMC. Then, go back and input the initial cruise alt for all waypoints leading up to your step-climb.

Disclaimer: I don't have the T7 yet, so I'm not sure if this will actually work. It was just the first thing to come to mind.

My question is: am I doing something wrong?

Yes.

Make sure you're entering /FL###S for a planned step at a particular point, instead of via the normal step profile.

Kyle Rodgers

Yes.

Make sure you're entering /FL###S for a planned step at a particular point, instead of via the normal step profile.

Sorry, I just realize the "S" in red. 

That's what i didn't knew.

Thanks Kyle!!!

Edited by masneoquil

If I understand correctly, what you saying is that I should go to the legs page and enter the planed FL at the required waypoint. 

That's what I can't do, because my initial cruise level is lower that those FL on those waypoints. At least, I think that is the reason.

Did you miss the bolded, bright red S at the end of that?

Kyle Rodgers