Sign in to follow this  
Nevian

Deactivating aspects of the autopilot

Being a creature of habit I naturally enter the 777 cockpit with an NGX mindset. Regarding the MCP, I'm used to being able to deactivate different aspects of the autopilot as needed. For instance, wanting to control the roll manually how do I deactivate the HDG SEL mode? Same thing with pitch, how do I take manual control of this aspect without disconnect the A/P all together? In the NGX you could deactivate, say heading select, by pressing the HDG SEL-button. Doesn't seem to work here. Also, if you forced the yoke in one direction you would get manual control of pitch or roll. In the 777 it seems the A/P simply disconnects all together.

Or did I miss something completely?

Sletvik, Thomas

What you're describing is CWS - Control Wheel Steering. I do not believe that capability is available on the Triple 7 autopilot. Any control inputs made by the pilot (or co-pilot) will terminate the A/P.

This isn't a 737. We've got it modeled the way it works in the real airplane. The AP is a lot more integrated here.

Of course you have - that's what you do. What I'm asking is simply how to achive in the 777 what was done in the 737.

What exactly does "more integrated" imply? I guess these changes are intended as a step up, I just need to know how to see it as exactly that - and not a step down as is the initial impression when coming from the 737.

Sletvik, Thomas

Of course you have - that's what you do. What I'm asking is simply how to achive in the 777 what was done in the 737.

What exactly does "more integrated" imply? I guess these changes are intended as a step up, I just need to know how to see it as exactly that - and not a step down as is the initial impression when coming from the 737.

You really just can't, not in a normal operating environment anyway. It's all or nothing.