Sign in to follow this  
DAL1850

Autothrottle Combatting Manual Throttle at Takeoff

First, let me say I suspect this is likely an FSUIPC vs T7 throttle issue, but the symptom I am observing is this: when I try to advance the throttles to 55% prior to enabling TOGA thrust, the auto-throttle consistently retards the throttles back to idle. I'm confused as to why this would be the case since the A/T is only armed at this point and no active thrust mode has been selected. If I disarm the A/T, this works fine (I can hold the throttles at 55%), but then it's a bit of a multi-click mess trying to get TOGA thrust to kick in. It is my understanding the A/T is typically left armed for the entire takeoff roll. My expectation from the tutorial is that I can advance the throttles manually to 55% (with the A/T armed), verify that engine stats are nominal, then engage TOGA, and when THR HLD is annunciated, I can safely advance my throttles fully forward to "sync" with the A/T. In my present configuration, I am unable to achieve this. I can't for the life of me figure out why the A/T is commanding IDLE on the ground. I can't even taxi normally with the A/T armed. Is there a magic bit I need to twiddle in FSUIPC or an option I should set (or unset) in the T7 config?

Is there a magic bit I need to twiddle in FSUIPC or an option I should set (or unset) in the T7 config?

There are a few threads about this if you search for them.  There's something about configuring the throttle calibration in FSUIPC alone and eliminating the FSX processing entirely...I forget exactly what it is, but it's been solved a few times with solutions on those lines.

Kyle Rodgers

There are a few threads about this if you search for them.  There's something about configuring the throttle calibration in FSUIPC alone and eliminating the FSX processing entirely...I forget exactly what it is, but it's been solved a few times with solutions on those lines.

I didn't find anything specific to my issue. Do you have a link? My controllers are disabled in FSX; everything routes through FSUIPC presently.

I didn't find anything specific to my issue. Do you have a link? My controllers are disabled in FSX; everything routes through FSUIPC presently.

I tell you what works for me like a charm:

FIRST: Delete your FSUIPC4.INI file.

2-) Download and install the latest FSUIPC version (4.92)

3-) Once installed, run FSX, go to Settings->Controllers window and assign your 2 axes to your throttle (assuming you're getting ready for the 777)

4-) Very important: Calibrate via Controllers menu. This basically takes you through a normal Windows game devices calibrating process. Please, make sure you do an accurate calibration of ONLY the axes you want to use. (Throttles)

5-) Once done, Accept and Apply your changes and (I did this) Save your configuration.

6-) Get back to Free Flight window, choose any airport, choose the 777 and click on Fly Now.

7-) Very Important: Allow to the 777 it's setup process, which means DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING until the initial countdown finish.

8-) Then go to FSUIPC menu and now you can assign all your axes as usually you do, EXCEPT the ones you previously did through FSX menu. In fact, before you access to FSUIPC, you'd be able to see your cockpit levers moves, as you move your physical throttles, since they're receiving inputs direct from FSX.

9-) Once you've assigned all your remaining axes and Buttons & Switches through FSUIPC, click OK and you should be ready to go (Personally I have toe brakes, rudder, aileron, elevator, spoilers and flaps axes assigned AND calibrated through FSUIPC. After 2 short hauls and 2 ultra long hauls with this config, I had no issue)

With exactly the configuration I've described above, now I'm able to taxi with A/T in ON position, as I've selected Show Thrust Lever Position to ON, now I can perfectly and easily sync my physical throttle levers with the N1 A/T setting (extremely useful prior to disconnect the A/T before landing) and until now, no rare A/T behavior during Take-off, climb, CRZ, descent, approach or landing was observed. I repeat, this configuration works perfect on my FSX setup. Try yourself and let me know how it went. Hope it helps ;)

Regards 

Ivan Lewis

PMDG B737NGX, B777 and B747v3 QOTS II

Thanks Kyle/Ivan,

I had seen the last 3 of Kyle's posts (which describe how to configure the axes and reversers), but not the first. It seems like the missing golden ticket for me was to use a Profile Specific setting to NOT pass the throttle inputs through FSUIPC's calibration. I knew there was some subtle derpiness with FSUIPC involved somewhere.

Ivan: I discovered steps 6 and 7 the hard way :). The T7 (and by association, FSX) explodes most spectacularly if you fart with anything before the initialization sequence is completed or if you load the aircraft after flying a stock plane. I always launch the T7 via Free Flight / Fly Now after a fresh start of FSX with consistently good results.

Thanks again for the help.

Back into the air I go.

J

I have basically everything setup via the FSX controller now.

I only use FSUIPC now for a few button presses that are linked to trimming, AT and AP disengage and TOGA.

Works without problems, but.....

Obviously I have the FSX controller enabled.

And since I too deleted the FSUIPC.ini file, it is now empty except for those few 777 button presses.

What if I want to fly other aircraft again for wich I want to use only FSUIPC?

I must then disable the FSX controllers first!

Would that delete my FSX controller setup so that I have to do all that work again for the next time I want to fly the 777 with FSX controllers enabled?

Also, I have had to delete quite a few default FSX controller assignments for my two Saitek throttles and my CHpro control wheel.

Then the other day I noticed those default assignments were back in there again and I had to go through all that again :-(

I dont know why that happened.

FSX bug?

Is it possible to save and back up my current FSX controller setup?

Thx.

Rob Robson

Simply enabling / disabling your FSX controllers shouldn't alter the bindings. This file is written out when FSX exits, however (not when you edit the controller config dialog), so if FSX exited uncerimoniously, your changes would have been lost.

That said, your FSX control bindings are saved here (Windows Vista/7/8):

C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\Controls\Standard.XML

And you can back them up.

J

PS. One "odd" behavior I did note is that, by default, FSX only binds the first 9 buttons by default. When you delete those, click OK, and go back into the list you'll see a handful of additional bindings for buttons 10 and higher (if your hardware has them). Another quirk is that as you move between the Button and Axes tabs, the active controller drop down box silently reverts back to the first controller in the list (this is a bug!). The first time through, I thought I was clearing out my Yoke bindings, only to realize that FSX had reselected my rudder pedals and I was editing the wrong list! It took me two or three iterations of clearing out the bindings paying close attention to which controller I was editing to get a truly empty config file (which I promptly saved).

In general, I find that FSX (mis)management of controller/joystick devices to be full of so much terribleness, that I just route everything through FSUIPC and call it a day. But it does occasionally expose you to hard-to-diagnose quirks like the one that started this post.

Yes, very well described.

Those are exactly the problems I ran into as well.

And FSX did crash once, so that must have been the cause for all assignments beong back at default.

Thx for the info on how to back up those controller settings.

Will save me a bit of time if this happens again :-)

Rob Robson