Sign in to follow this  
koala63

What approach do you use with ATC controlers?

I fully agree with you Robin. In each part of the FCTM regarding autopilot use you can read that if LNAV/VNAV doesn't do what you want you shall simply turn it off.

The biggest Facepalm I ever had was due to a guy on the DOMUX2G STAR for runway 05R in Düsseldorf (for those who don't know it: It's almost only a stright line bringing you right into the downwind) in perfect VMC conditions and he told ATC that he was unable to follow ATC's instructions because his Autopilot wasn't doing what it should. He caused 3 go arounds because his AP flew him right into the final approach and he did not even think of turning his AP off or reverting to a simpler mode.

I agree with that too, i was yesterday on approach in Montpellier (France) with a lot of traffic and ATC instructions, so i switch in FLCH mode and HDG SEL to manage my descent.

After ATC told me to descent quickly due to a traffic so my VNAV profile was wrong and he can't do all, i just use FLCH with spoilers to help the plane descending with hight ft/mn but safety.There was an another T7 pmdg behind me and he make a go around on final saying his landing altitude was not set properly.Poeple flight boeing plane in the airbus philosophy, it's very different.

I treat VNAV as a "most efficient possible decent"

Sometimes the traffic situation requires a plane to turn/descend/level off to avoid traffic, even though it's not 'the most efficient' for fuel.

On Cross the Pond yesterday, I had to begin decent early due to ATC needing me to get under some other traffic that was going to cross my path going somewhere else (I was headed to EHAM, they were going to EGLL or something). FLCH because I wanted to descend quickly then level off. 

Once maintaining FL230 we leveled off, and the next descent was at pilots discretion, so VNAV went back in to pick up the decent profile. Ended up flying level for about 3 minutes at FL230 with the traffic above passing at FL250 or so a minute or 2 after level off.

I could have used the "Decend Now" option on the FMC VNAV/Decent page, but that will give a ~1000ft/min decent rate... and would take a little longer to actually activate (rotate MCP altitude knob down, press VNAV on fmc, press next page on FMC, press the relevant line select, press exe)
compared to FLCH which is 2 actions... MCP altitude knob, then FLCH press.

Additionally you get a faster decent rate.

It's all about getting the plane to do what you want it to do without having any odd surprises. If you have been told to descend for reasons of traffic avoidance, then faffing about with the FMC for a less than best rate of decent is perhaps not the best thing to do to comply with the ATC instruction.

There's several modes available to use. The trick of being a pilot is to know which one is the best way to achieve the goal you re trying to achieve. It's about using the tools (modes) you have available and knowing how you want the aircraft to perform.

Yes that even includes the autopilot disconnect button sometimes :P
(Last night I got a TCAS (not an RA) from an aircraft randomly dumping 700ft of altitude mid-NAT and ending up at 300ft above me (him at FL363).) 

Had I not been on a 1nm offset (SLOP) I probably would have needed to respond to an RA, and if that had been the case, I may well have found a full autopilot disconnect may have been in order. As it was I just increased my offset to 2nm and then eventually told ATC we'd had a TCAS. The conflicting aircraft continued to drift lower (and slower) and eventually he seemed to complain that I was there (at the altitude and speed I'd been cleared for, and him 1000ft below his cleared altitude). ATC wanted him to climb back to FL370, he seemed only to want to complain about me being anywhere near him, and so I decided I'd take the initiative and just gave the full spiel to ATC, I was maintaining FL360 as cleared with TCAS traffic 2nm to my left due to Strategic Lateral Offset, and I requested to climb to FL370 to clear the conflict.

This was approved and up we went.

several hours later the dude powered through my level to FL390 without a clearance, but I was still on the offset so it was a mild case of "what a wierdo" as I watched the contrail pop through. The next 30 minutes were an odd specticle of the traffic at FL380 tracking dead straight and level, and the other guy at FL390 appearing to "yoyo" up and down in a phugoid oscillation covering about +-300ft off FL390 in about 2 or 3 minute long 'wave' patterns. 

ATC radio was just normal position reports.

Be calm and polite at all times, and make doubly sure the microphone is off before you curse them to hell and back. They do keep grudges...

Now that was funny!