Sign in to follow this  
Guest av84fun

Simply, Simply Stunning! Misty Fjords

Not to sound argumentative, but what exactly about this scenery constitutes over $50?The boats and whatnot are nice, but over $50!? That is a little too far out there, IMO.

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

Guest gasebah

I don't know exactly what to say about the price discussion. Well, I bought it. It is my hobby and I flip out my credit card fast whenever I come across something I like. But maybe you are right and it's time to say "No".From what I understand this landscape modelling is a lot more time intense than an airport scenery with some buildings and taxiways. But then look at sceneries like Kozma's Budapest, wow. From the standpoint of landscape scenery this is surely a new "state-of-the-art". But for the price tag I would have at least expected that they throw in detailed airports for all existing fields in the area. Frankly, I did not read the description properly and was pretty surprised when I saw only default buildings at PAKT. My bad.Alex

Just a note here...I'm not "Bad-mouthing" Misty Fjords AT ALL. I appreciate ALL FS add-on development and I think we all owe a debt of gratitude to payware and freeware developers alike. Without them, this game would, IMO, downright SUCK.

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

Guest JoeW

I was one of the testers on this scenery. It's not just scenery, It's Mesh, Landclass, Roads, and cabins scattered over an area the size if Rhode Island. The coast lines are actual.... It's almost photoreal.This is a very good price for what it is. I also enjoy Billiards and own a Joss cue stick. A Joss starts at $300. Mine was $500. You can buy Cue Sticks all day for $50 to $100, but until you've played with a Joss... It's very hard to describe what it's like.Misty Fjords is like that. This is the definative scenery that all will be judged by for some time to come.Joe W.

Guest cvj4

>There is even a>website where you can download all kinds of free goodies to go>with this package! What is the link to the add-on website, please?

Guest rino

"was pretty surprised when I saw only default buildings at PAKT."is this addon only scenery rendition then? No airports whatsoever?Pity then - not really sure i'll buy it :-(

Do you have some information about how big area this scenery covers?

Hi there,thanks for the positive feedback about Misty Fjords and the "unhappy" comments as well ;-)The independent Misty Fjords "fan site" is at http://www.mistymoorings.comAnyone can download the manual for free; it gives a complete list of features, the spatial extent, which freeware add-ons work and which don't, etc.: http://secure.simmarket.com/product_info.p...roducts_id=1052Also, there are some lively discussions about the pros and cons over at our support forum: http://forums.simflight.com/viewforum.php?f=159I invite everyone to carefully evaluate these resources BEFORE making a purchasing decision. The last thing we need is a bunch of grumpy pilots in the Alaskan skies ;-)Cheers, Holger

Guest Ridge_Runner_5

It looks like a great product, but Im not gonna cop out $50 for some mesh, AI boats and a few log cabins...

Howdy,thanks for the feedback - I noticed the same "line" of yours over at simflight. As your lack of knowledge about the product's content shows you're obviously someone who doesn't like to spend much time exploring what an add-on has to offer. Thanks for being the perfect counter-example to what I suggest interested simmers do in my previous post - excellent timing! ;-)Cheers, Holger

>Also, there are some lively discussions about the pros and>cons over at our support forum:>http://forums.simflight.com/viewforum.php?f=159>I saw there that there is only four airports in the scenery area.I would like to know where and how they are placed. Are thay evenly spread or concentrated to some area or maybe they are at the edges of the scenery?What is the shape of the scenery area? A square rectangle or?

Howdy,the area is a rectangle shown in read on the image below - sorry about the quality. Prince Rupert, CYPR, ended up being inside the coverage area and the southern boundary is actually a bit further down (it includes the Skeena River). Please keep in mind, though, that Misty Fjords is NOT about airfields; this is floatplane country and there are 21 seaplane bases throughout the area, plus 17 floatplane-only cabins. There is one detailed small airfield included, which is the fictitious Antelope Trail Ranch by Bill Womack (second and third screenshot). Instead, Misty Fjords is all about the landscape, in full detail and accuracy. Rather than comparing it to the Georender airfield series it's probably better to compare it with photoreal scenery packages, just without the typical problems of blurring textures, lack of seasons, long loading times, limited autogen, and huge HD space requirements. Again, the links and the manual should help with getting a better idea. Also, there's a sticky thread on the forum with a number of user-contributed movies. Hope that helps,Cheers, Holger http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/99763.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/99764.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/99765.jpg

Mega Scenery USA 2004 also have landscapes and airports and a few floatbases and cities and it covers a larger area. And it's not quietas expensive as Misty Fjords.Have you are anybody else seen both? If so how do they compare? What can Misty fjords offer that Megascenery can't?

jfri,I believe Holger's previous post answered your last question: yes, MegaScenery may offer more photographic accuracy (the satellite textures), but at a relatively high altitude (although they swear that the optimal altitude is 3000+, it looks satisfactory to me only at 6000+, I can't accept the lower resolution at lower altitudes). Takeoffs and landings in MegaScenery often ruin the perfect immersion of the cruise flight. With Misty Fjords, the area will look just as breathtaking at any altitude and bush flying is all about flying low and slow, if only you can forgive the lack of photographic accuracy that the MegaScenery textures provide. Instead of photographs, other enhancements increase immersion: accurate coastlines and elevations (indispensable in this coastal and mountaineous country), enhanced textures, and a multitude of 3D objects. If the screenshots can't convince you, download a few movies from their forum, or better yet, try one of Holger's freeware creations, Glacier Bay or Northern Washington and compare them to the default.I own all MegaSceneries so far (can't wait for Northwest) and think that the comparison Holger suggests makes a lot of sense. MegaSceneries and MistyFjords enhance each other's weaknesses: photographic accuracy vs. much greater immersion at lower altitudes and a whole bunch of little details to explore. I was myself shocked at the price (45.78 USD last time I checked on SimMarket), but I'm still considering it as it is one of my favorite places to fly in the world and there's no more exciting flying than bush flying.Michal

Guest av84fun

<<60$ canadian is way too expensive for an addon product...i only paid 60$ for Flightsim itself..>>You raise an interesting point. In spite of all the complaints about FS9 (including from me once in a while) for its price, it is the bargain of the century.I pay twice that amount PER HOUR (not including the instructor) for a twin, motion base sim that NO WAY has any better flight models than those available to run on FS9 and WAY INFERIOR scenery.Microsoft is a giant company and produces FS9 in certainly hundreds of thousands and possibly millions of units...I have no idea but the quantities are HUGE compared to add-on developers. The relative economics have nothing to do with each other.Regards