Sign in to follow this  
PapaRomeo

New nVidia driver Vsync broken

I don't look at FSX graphics and try to make them run like a first person shooter.

For my development setup:

With a lot of testing in different scenarios I found Bufferpools mods and HIGHMEMFIX reduce fps on my system by several fps. If I take a worse case fps at say addon EDDS and 777 in rain, I get 15-45fps with full eye candy, full sliders, (no Ai), but I also have full debug trace. Locked at 14fps (monitor has 59/s refresh) this is the way I get smooth chopper control amongst detailed scenery.

Machine is a non-OC 3960x+32Gb, GTX 680 1920x1200x32, 4T Intel RAID 10, Win8. I need a slightly balder landscape to lock 29 on the deck. I can reduce eye candy a little for 19fps which is just verging on liquid, but 14's OK as I can put up with a little stepping along looking out the side window. Setting an fps limit above that which is maintainable is simply capping the fps. I look at the zoomed out spot view parallel to the ground when on the ground pan the view to the worst case. When the fps falls below the fixed fps this is where I get stuttering (there are no pre-rendered frames to substitute in when running out of render time loading scenery). I don't use an affinity mask as this can only restrict Windows from being able to place threads where it want's, I leave HT on since more threads can take part with less blocking and threads can take advantage of increased memory efficiency, Windows will prioritise cores for FSX if it can.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

[bUFFERPOOLS]

UsePools=0 

Spirit, don't forget the header.  This tweak should be used on a GPU with greater than 1Gb RAM.

Of course, I know.

Spirit

That's good but you have to remember there are many others that come to the forums seeking out information and we are here to help educate.

At the OP:

I have found the external limiter built within NI with the setting at 58 FPS which "improves" VSync lag (on a 60Hz - usually native freq.) has worked for me in the past.  It is a matter of trying different settings and what is right for your system setup.

The nVidia BETA's are not "locked" down because they are just as they state, in BETA form.  VSync might or might not work based on what changes have occurred within build and to that extent the use of BETA's are risky.

\Robert Hamlich/

Latest WHQL driver installed.
Tried internal, external, unlimited, 30 fps lock.
Tried DX9, vsync working about 1 out of 7 starts ups.
Its NOT even a DX10 issue.
Now i simply can't get vsync working!

I kinda give up now, too much time spending just on vsync, can't stand the tearing.

Removing Saitek gear.....

i9 10900KF
RTX 3080
32gb ram
SSD

That's good but you have to remember there are many others that come to the forums seeking out information and we are here to help educate.....,.

Sounds like a teacher. :lol: :lol:

Spirit

I kinda give up now, too much time spending just on vsync, can't stand the tearing.

PapaRomeo,

Can you give us an update?  I lost track of this thread, we have almost the identical PC's except I am OC'd to 4.8Ghz.  Running DX10 requires certain balanced settings in NI, are you sure what you are seeing are spikes on the terrain, clouds etc. or is it really tearing at all?

Could it be a hardware issue?  I don't understand how 1 out of 7 times VSync works and then does not unless you are having issues with your GPU which hopefully you can exchange.  

\Robert Hamlich/

Sounds like a teacher. :lol: :lol:

Spirit

Yes Spirit and you can start by writing a 1000 word essay on why you like DX10!  ^_^

\Robert Hamlich/

Yes Spirit and you can start by writing a 1000 word essay on why you like DX10!  ^_^

:lol:  Well, my wife is a teacher and I know such behavior very good.  :lol:

Spirit :rolleyes:

Use PS_FRAME_RATE_LIMITER_30 in nVidia Inspector, this may help you.

Spirit

That was what I did in first place.

Perhaps both in nvidia AND fsx?

Thanks anaway...

i9 10900KF
RTX 3080
32gb ram
SSD

:lol:  Well, my wife is a teacher and I know such behavior very good.  :lol:

Spirit :rolleyes:

Use PS_FRAME_RATE_LIMITER_30 in nVidia Inspector, this may help you.

Spirit

Spirit my good man, you took me way too literally, I am not a teacher.  Be careful what you write or you will get a detention from the real one. :biggrin:

@RP, some good advice.  There is also an FPS setting (58 FPS -Vsync input lag) that may help.

Here are my NI Settings, they are copied from the AVSIM Hardware and Software Guide and they work extremely well for many of us using DX10.  Notice that all the edits have the blue gear on the left, those are the ones that you would set for FSX.

Take note of the AA Compatability (DX1x) setting (Bioshock...) and the Texture Filtering Lod Bias should be set to +0.0000 not -1.0000.

\Robert Hamlich/