Sign in to follow this  
JGSJW

How to back up my FS9 airplane files

I decided to back up all of my FS9 airplane files in case my computer ever buys the farm. When I loaded the DVD and started the 3 gig burn it told me it was going to take 22 hours. I think I need a better idea. There must be a better way.

I've got all mine on an external HD.

But try doing it a bit at a time ( say 20 - 30 aircraft ).

Pete.

First, I chose all aircraft files I really needed to backup. By that, I mean aircraft which hadn't shipped with FS9, stock aircraft to which I'd added dozens of new liveries, and so on. For reasons of convenience, I copied all of these files into a temporary folder I'd created for that purpose. I deliberately did not include AI "traffic" aircraft, since as these are installed, .bgl files must also be created and copied into some of FS9's scenery directories, a process the installers for these aircraft carry out. I personally use WoAI and a few PAI aircraft, but the principle should be the same for similar "traffic" aircraft.

Once I had the files (still in their own folders) copied into my temporary folder, I used Pk-Zip, the freeware archiving program to create .zip archive containing all of these planes, and it was that .zip archive which I copied onto my external hard drive for safekeeping. Now, anytime I must reinstall FS9, I can restore all but my AI "traffic" aircraft in minutes by simply unzipping that archive into FS9's "Aircraft" folder.

Why not just copy the "Aircraft", 'Gauges", "Sound" folders?

Maybe "Modules" as well. Copy to a portable/2nd hard drive.

Or, If you have space, copy the whole install across. Then, if things go pear shaped, you have backups of everything, including scenery.

Better to be safe! ;-)

So, for a 'new'/backup install, I just copy the whole thing across to a new drive or computer - (I use 'teracopy' because it's faster than Microsofts copy).

Then download and run the FS9 registry repair tool found here:

http://www.flight1.com/view.asp?page=library

Follow the onscreen directions to manually point to your FS9.exe and the tool will automatically correct the registry value.

Viola!! complete new install!!

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

Thanks for the input . I appreciate all of these ideas and need to check my budget for a good fit.

So, for a 'new'/backup install, I just copy the whole thing across to a new drive or computer - (I use 'teracopy' because it's faster than Microsofts copy).

I use Teracopy too. It's faster and more reliable than using Windows Explorer's copy function, and it's also free.

When I get back next week I would like to pursue that Teracopy idea.