Sign in to follow this  
spokes2112

P3D general questions - development

Hi,

Been thinking lately of using up some free HD space to install P3D, a couple of questions regarding development. Since I like to putz with different areas of flight sim development I am wondering which way to go.

1. With the academic license is the SDK available? If so, do you get the same tools and services as the development licence?

2. If not, what does the developers license give you besides what is included in the add on SDK? Special tools? Forum help? etc..

TIA

20AUG21_Avsim_Sig.png?dl=1  FS RTWR   SHRS F-111   JoinFS   Little Navmap 

Thanks Gerry,

Yes, I read through both but this question comes up. Why even have a development license @ $9.95 a month when an academic license is only $50 forever w/ the SDK for free. Is there something with the development license included that just isn't mentioned? IE a developers forum for the developer license only, extra tools etc..  Here is something more, but rather vague.

The Prepar3D Developer Network Program is designed to provide an ecosystem with the technical, marketing and sales tools and resources needed to develop "Prepar3D Compatible" offerings.

All in all, really looking at the academic license with the SDK unless something in the developers license really jumps out.

20AUG21_Avsim_Sig.png?dl=1  FS RTWR   SHRS F-111   JoinFS   Little Navmap 

1. The Prepar3D SDK is a free download for anyone who wants it.

Some FSX developers are using it because it supplies a 64bit version of XtoMDL.exe that is required for those who have the 64bit version of Max2012 installed.

2. A "Developer's License" allows for installation/activation on two computers, which is required by anyone who wishes to code and test for Shared Cockpit and/or multiplayer operations.

3. An "Academic License" allows for installation on only one computer at a time

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Is there something with the development license included that just isn't mentioned? IE a developers forum for the developer license only, extra tools etc..

There are differences between the various licences.

I have the developer license (monthly subscription $9.95) ... I haven't done much P3D lately as I'm waiting for V2.0.  If V2.0 and V2.1 deliver the goods, I'm going to start development on a few projects for P3D in my spare time.

I think, but maybe wrong ... the developer license also gets you all major version updates ... I'm not sure the academic or professional gets you updates.  The only odd thing I ran into with developer license was my expiring CC, it expired but I didn't get any info from P3D that they could no longer charge my account the subscription fee, they just terminated my license and I had to buy a new license (apparently I couldn't just re-activate with new expire date for my CC).

Speaking of 3DS Max 2012 ... anyone know if "hard copies" of this 2 year old package are available for sale?  I can't find any sources ... they seem to have moved to a subscription process also for 2014.

Rob