Sign in to follow this  
DAL1850

In game bloom now disables all bloom

I have the same issue looks like it cant be fixed, pity

Who said it can't be fixed?

It's an open issue but I don't even know if it's even been investigated.

It does seem to be an all or nothing proposition with the AI lights. You either get a blinding white ball visible from space when the aircraft is on the ground, or you get nothing at all.

The original issue as reported was with AI using the default light effects  fx_navred.fx etc   that worked ok in DX10 preview  but  did not  work at a distance when DX10 Compatible Lights (aka Effects) were enabled.  This gave a choice between working lights on the plane you were flying and AI lights that were visible at a distance.

To work around this there is now a "Lights package"  from build 24 which replaces the default light effects.  These modified lights  work under DX10 without the conversion process - thus your plane works (assuming it uses the default lights) and the AI lights are unchanged and thus work as in default DX10 - this is true whether you enable DX10 Compatible Lights (Effects) or not.

This solves the problem of AI for AI packages using default lights.  There remains some minor issues with cutoff angles especially when the AI is taxing on the ground - these are influenced by the plane you are in and what lights it has on.  These cutoff  issues cannot be resolved - this is what Wayne and I were talking about above.

This workaround does not address AI planes that use their own lights or some add on such Shockwave.   In this scenario I would suggest initially  enabling the Lights Package but not enabling  DX10 Compatible lights (effects) and seeing what you find. 

If you find that your  AI work fine and you are happy with everything else then great.  

If you find that your AI work fine but there are other issues with lighting (e.g street lights that flicker) then you may still want to enable DX10 Compatible Lights but avoid converting the AI lights. This can be done if you can find the names of the AI lights by adding them to the file c:\program data\DX10 Scenery Fixer\DX10.ini in the section

[ExcludeEffects]
ballast.fx=1
fx_dx10shieldtest.fx=1
fx_dx10shield.fx=1
fx_dx10fieldtest.fx=1
fx_dx10field.fx=1

add your AI lights here - so eg  

fx_shockwave_navred.fx=1

etc etc

The bloom of the AI landing lights can be reduced by turning bloom off or using the sliders

Ok Steve, first of all thank you again .....i have tried what you suggested and added all shockwave lighst to the exclude list of the ini file.....(i noticed there is another one exactly like that but with a different path and left it untouched altho it includes your default exceptions) it work most of the time from the outside view only (pressing F11) and some times from within vc view.....

Ill give you some imput here......i think there is an 'interference' given the fact that most of the time when the AI aircraft are above you, you can see them thru vc, however when they are below you (and therefore 'at the same level' of the city lights ie ftx lights, and other lights) they dissapear

In the TCAS you can see how many AI are around you (sometimes i get 20+) yet i can only see a few from within vc as stated and i confirm agin the ratio is way higher from outside view.

Another thing i noticed is that the ftx lights are like 'suns' meaning that when you are taxiing you can see the clouds covering the ftx street (vectors) lights that are closer to you.....i dont know if this is raleted or not, but the bottom line is that if this gets fixed at least  70% plus of the time ratio for AI lights at nite from VC view i can tell you that this fixer will be (if is not already) THE add on of the year......

i can now fly most of my aircraft at fixed 20-30 fps AND SMOOTH, except for the pmdg737 which still gives me 12-15 on appches and even 10 but is still smooth most of the time, even at low fps......and since i have a mediocre system ....anyways thank you again and please try to see what you can do (or if there are any other exlusions or steps we can take on our own) to fix this issue at least most of the AI lights.

hank you again!!

I am afraid that clouds obscuring lights is a fsx problem In dx9 and dx10, so there is no fix there! If you think about it. when you are above a clouds it's a good thing. The decision was made that it's very rare for a light and a cloud to coincide otherwise and so they accepted the fault as the alternative would be very complex.

If you are familiar with aircraft.cfg lights entries your could try adding a shieldtest light to the plane you fly. It's an array of red lights, position it so that you can see the lights looking fwd and sideways from the vc. Then test ai visibility if it's an improvement change it for a shield light which is the same but the lights are invisible. The effect names can be found from the exclude list above.

To work around this there is now a "Lights package" from build 24 which replaces the default light effects. These modified lights work under DX10 without the conversion process - thus your plane works (assuming it uses the default lights) and the AI lights are unchanged and thus work as in default DX10 - this is true whether you enable DX10 Compatible Lights (Effects) or not.

This appears to have worked for me (Lights Package installed + DX10 Compatible Lights OFF)...the viewing angle bug not withstanding.

Thanks, Steve.

PS. What does the shieldtest do exactly?