Sign in to follow this  
Guest isaacn

Speech recognition for ATC (VoxATC)

Thanks Ron,Thanks for responding. BTW, How much are they charging for the program. I visited the site, and downloaded the trial version, but have not installed it yet.The site does not say how much it costs.The robotic voices are just inherent within the Speech recognition Engine.I use it for dictation in Wordpad, the version that comes with WinXP, and then I paste it into my OpenOffice writer program. Open Ofice does not allow voice recognition as of yet.I also use it for email in the same way. I type pretty fast, but it is quite convenient to dicate, an dthen CTRL C, CTRL V it into wherever I need it.Free Office Suite:http://www.openoffice.orgI get pretty good results with this engine, never 99% though, that is quite high, but overall, it's pretty good.I am not sure if MS has more voice options within their MS Speech Server Program or not, as I don't have that program.Voice Recognition has come a long way in the past few years, and really seems to be getting much better.Kudos to Microsoft for letting this be available to us for free.Thanks for posting your thoughts.Regards,Joe

CryptoSonar on Twitch & YouTube. 

Hello,Total: 30.00 GBP Item/Product Name: VoxATC 2.5 Registration THIS IS MY PAYPAL INFO........Have fun, I'm really enjoying this - I'm sure the "real pilots" will find this hoaky but for me, FS2004 is a really great "game" and it lets me fly around at a lot less $$$$$ than the real thiong!Ron SagelNear KCHS

Joe"So do isaacnponyboy &vsukpadmanAll know each other? maybe note, hmmm..... very interesting coincidences, none the less."I have no link at the bottom of my post..if there is one I did not put it there!As for being a new poster..I read this forum EVERY day ,but dont generally post here - and if you want to know if I am "real " ask Tom Allensworth we go right back to Satco UK days :-) - Hi Tom long time no speak !Just to set the record straight, I am a real world pilot with a Cirrus Sr22, and along with my colleague we transition people to Cirrus aircraft and TAA in general...I have long used flight sim stuff , and have most addons and aircraft that I consider to be good..I was looking for a program that made the workload more real..we have been using Radar contact for training , which is excellent, but pushing 1 button doesnt simulate the readback in real world..VOXATC is by no means perfect , but is a great start , and the author (who by the way is apparently from DEVON..nowhere near me in London) is more than happy to listen to constructive feedback...For those ACTUALLY interested , yes you can run the AI alongside it , but the ATC sadly ignores it..I use GA traffic and Ultimate Traffic..maybe that can be looked at in future One good thing is that it uses the FS database so all frequencies are correct , and the handovers to various enroute radar control freqs are very real ...For those in the UK , the good news is that they are planning a UK version next year ..to more accurately simulate our procedures here..i only know this as I have been mailing my thoughts to the developers , and they have very kindly responded...So for 30 Quid its a bargain as far as Im concerned ..keep up the good work - those of us with a real interest in forwarding this hobby into real world simulation applaud you all the best

Please read my post above again.I never said YOU had a link at the bottom of your post, Ponyboy does. You are mistaken.

Guest ponyboy

Hi Sonar5,Well that is some very good investigative work but unfortunately you are off in the wrong direction. I used to go by ponyboyz here for the last couple of years but just recently changed my account to ponyboy - hence the very few posts so far.As far as the advertising, I have no control over what type of "tin" they push on my site (that's what you get for freebie sites). But I can see when you add up all the parts it could make one suspicious.Anywho... I'm leaning towards trying that freebie approach listed above (thanks for such a detailed explanation). Not becauseit's free but I just don't like those robotic voices. Tried using FSHotseat and it had the same type robotic responce. Plus, can't live withouut my AI.

A good play by play with regards to Speech recognition within Windows XP is here for those new to this arena.It gives a very detailed look at how to set it up, how it works, and what you can get out of it.You have to understand that these programs run off of this engine.http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/s...eptember23.mspxRegards,Joe

Oh Please.You said:"As far as the advertising, I have no control over what type of "tin" they push on my site (that's what you get for freebie sites). But I can see when you add up all the parts it could make one suspicious."Now are you saying that the link to the speech solutions company was put there by the host you use, and not by you?Not according to the code viewable by anyone choosing view source in their browser.It clearly shows the difference in code with the adserver of your host, and the stuff you coded. The link to the speech company is right above the forced "tin" being pushed on you by the free hostBTW - Your web page counter is also linked directly to the speech company terakeet as well.Sorry, but I have to disagree with your above statement. It is clear what I was referring to, and what the freehost is showing.Regards,Joe

Hello,I posted on this thread earier. After the post, while using the system, I came across a bug that I reported to the vendor. I just received a complete refund, without asking, because they do not sell their product with a major flaw and keep your money.They stated they will fix the problem ASAP and that I remain registered and able to obtain upgrades and fixes.I think that this is as fair as I have ever been treated in the PAYWARE market that often draws so much "flame".Thanks,Ron Sagel

What was the bug so that others are aware of it as well, please?

Hello,The bug is that SOME flight plan DEP/ARR combinations don't work. They are rare but do occur. In my case, living near KCHS, it will process correctly in one direction, say KCHS -> KCAE but will not process in the other direction KCAE->KCHS. I may have this reversed but that is the gist of the problem. You get an error like Airport not in database.It stops the Flight Plan Trainer from working and it also does the same to the main program when you engage it. The trainer just hangs!Also, with some very good support from the vendor, I got the following:Creating a new flight.Start MSFS and select create a flight. Click on the flight planner button and create and save the flight plan.Setup the weather, aircraft etc and then save the flight. Click the fly now button and start the flight. Set the VoxATC options and then enable VoxATC.Starting an existing flight (with flight plan).Start MSFS and selct 'Select a Flight'choose a flight with a flight plan and click Fly Now.Set the VoxATC options and enable VoxATC.VoxATC should always be disabled before loading a flight. ALSO:Valid callsigns are either (no spaces) eg. speedbird123(no spaces) or an 'N' callsign >> again no spaces eg N1234D which will become (aircrafttype)cessnaone two three four delta.I believe that a new update is about 10 days away.Thanks,Ron Sagel

Guest isaacn

Thanks to all in this thread for the info. In response to an earlier post I don't know any of the other posters and have no affiliation with this company. However since I run my own business I don't manage to fly/post/look at forums as often as I should.I think for some time the voxatc site was hosted at internal-workings.com (I assume the company behind the program) and a google search will find a few referneces to it dating back 18 months or more.I posted here asking for comments about the program, not recomending the product, and I thank all those who have posted their views. I have a few more flights in demo mode and would concur that the speech recognition works well, the artificial voice traffic makes up for the lack of visible AI and the the inputs and repsonse are not overly scripted. On the other hand you can only use US registration and Airline call signs (no European style tailcodes), and the documentation is a little sparse - I had read through the html file 3 times before I extratced everything I needed to try out all the features (like the in-flight emergencies). I will probably purchase the program sometime before Christmas - as a on time Private Pilot it has really brought back some memories, and added to the immersion.I have re-enabled AI aircraft (not the ATC though !) at about 30% and this gives some colour to the airport/local area without getting in the way.Regards

I found hard to believe that this software received so little interest. True - author for some reason did not made big campain on release, but even so, less worthy addons made bigger impact on simming community than this one. I unfortunately can't try this soft, because Athlon 900 is nowhere even close to specs needed to run it, but I would love to hear more from others, because time of upgrade is getting closer and since first demo I have tryied some 1.5 year ago this soft is very high on my list of The Most Expected Releases. So please - some more feedback ... somebody ... anybody...Dan

Guest byoung

It is the price 50+ dollars every 6 months.. Many of these third party developers have not figured out simple "Volume-Economics" :).That's it...Barry

Barrywrong program :-) ..VOXATC is a one off small fee ..you are thinking of the US only "live" AI traffic stuff which has a subscription...As for VOXATC , an update has just been released , and I for one still continue to think it is amazing work , that should receive a LOT more interest than it has ...Im finding it a great benefit in the quest for more real world cockpit workloadall the bestBill PLondon

Barrymaybe you should write a small review and send it to AVSIM or Flightsim or at least post it here on the forum. I certainly will appreciate an oppinion from someone who is actually using it.Dan