Sign in to follow this  
Guest isaacn

Speech recognition for ATC (VoxATC)

DanI (and others ) have given our opinion on this thread already..look further up the topic..We did get somewhat shot down for having any view on it for some bizarre reason, but if you read the thread you wil find that the users are very happy indeed with the program and the supportcheersBill

>You said:>"I am perfectly free to recommend the program , unless the>rules have changed without me spotting it?">>Yes you are, I agree with that 100%, as I am also able to>reflect my observations as well.>>I just take new poster reviews of new products with a grain of>salt. I'm just cautious that way. It's just me.>>I was just noting the coincidence of it all. It is>interesting.>>As for being a cynic, when I see a website with absolutely NO>names attached to a product at their website, I also become a>bit suspicous.>>I also wonder when it is a BRAND NEW Domain.....>>>Domain Name: VOXATC.COM> Registrar: TUCOWS INC.> Whois Server: whois.opensrs.net> Referral URL: http://domainhelp.tucows.com> Name Server: NS1.LIVEDNS.CO.UK> Name Server: NS2.LIVEDNS.CO.UK> Status: REGISTRAR-LOCK> Updated Date: 19-nov-2004> Creation Date: 16-nov-2004> Expiration Date: 16-nov-2005>>Interesting how you are from London, and this is a UK domain>reg.>>I guess all these coincidences are just that. >>Well, I hope you enjoy your purchase, and happy>flightsimming.>>Regards,>Joe>>Good point, Joe. I concur.

Guest byoung

Sorry Posted in the wrong place OOPS! This post was for FS LiveBarry

I have been using the program for a week and a half and have been very impressed. The reason that you are able to get such a high rate of comprehension from the voice recognition is the program is expecting you to say a certain phrase in a certain order... if you get reasonably close it works. Not like using speech recognition on a word processor where the computer has to figure out what you are trying to say from a blank sheet.You do need a 2G or better processor and have to turn off the AI to get reasonable frame rates. That said, it is a fantastic tool especially for a real pilot. One of my big criticisms with flying on the sim is that I get lazy with radio communications. This program will force you to stay sharp with most radio communications you would use in the US air system. You get to use VFR flight advisories, IFR flight, SIDs, STARs, named airways and navaids including fixes, stepped altitude assignments.I am working on a review that I will submit to both big sim sites. Tegwyn West, the programmer has been extremely helpful in getting any bugs worked out. This is not a new program, it was being developed for FS2002 and about the time he had it ready for release FS2004 was released and that threw a big pipe wrench into the works cause it didn't transfer over to the new system well at all.Get ready for the next huge advancement in flight simming. This is gonna be big and only going to get better.Don't believe me... download the demo and fly between the three allowed airports and make up your own mind.Best wishes,Zane

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Thanks Zanelooking forward to your reviews - this program really needs to get out there.If you are in touch with the author can you ask him if there is possibility (or plans) to run it remotely - like through WideFS or simmilar. It could really help with framerates in my oppinion.Dan

Guest christianholmes

OK, I haven't tried it yet, but was reading the website.Is it true that you can't use the voice recognition to, say, declare an emergency? It says that there is a menu- you press 0, blah blah... Does this mean I can't just declare an emergency with my voice and I have to press keys first?

In the areas where you might want a variety of options such as the emergency menu or selecting a different runway or approach you will hit the "0" key which will bring up a set of selections particular to the phase of flight you are in. You will press the corresponding number which sets the program to run that particular selection, then speak. I haven't tried just speaking the phrases without first hitting the "0" to see if that would work, but will try it :) and report back.The demo has all functions enabled, you are just limited to flights between three airports so what are you waiting for? Go give the program a try.I will say that this program IMHO will appeal more to the real world pilot and pilot in training then the simmmer that likes to fly many different aircraft, look all over the aircraft from the outside with active camera, use the wing view while the FMC handles all the flying, scroll through all the AI aircraft with ctrl/w, slew all over the highly detailed airport to look at deliver trucks, etc. Don't get me wrong cause I'm not putting that down, just pointing out that VOXATC will give a great boost in realism for one thing... communicating with ATC using the US based FAA type phrases and making YOU say them correctly. This will be at the cost of running all the frame rate robbing AI traffic so it's a trade off.I also have MyTraffic on my computer as well as Editvoicepack 3.1. The latest version (2.1) of MyTraffic even has Military AI traffic. There are times I just want to do a looky lou (no relation to Lou Betti!) and fly around seeing an airport bustling with traffic and listen to all those country and airline specific callsigns. So I do my sightseeing outside the US with those two programs, and my practice flights here in the Pacific Northwest with VOXATC.Enjoy flyin'Zane

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888