Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bozdog

Creating a backup of FSX

Hi I have recently bought a Backup utility that will create a "clone" of the Pc.

The thought of having to reinstall fsx and windows just fills me with dread now I have quite  a few add on's and have finished "changing settings " for the last year  and am finally doing some flying without getting obsessed with settings!

Now I have 2 hard Drives on my PC 1 for Windows 7 and anything else (2TB - only about 600MB used)  the other solely for FSX,(250 gig SSD)

I have 2  1TB  USB Drives to back up to.  You can only "clone" one drive to one USB drive When I "clone" the drive it will wipe everything from the USB drive. 

Now is it ok to do this

"Clone" the main drive that windows is held on to one of the USB's

then just "copy" and paste the FSX folder from the solid date drive  to the other USB drive

This will then leave me the option to use the other 750Gig left on the FSX copy drive to store any other data i wish to back up from any other source

ie  is all the details about registry etc on the main drive that I "clone"  so if any thing went wrong in the future and I needed to restore I could use the cloned image of the operating system etc, restore that,  and then just copy and paste my FSX folder from the backup  to the SSD drive (Should that have also become corrupted)

Hope this makes sense

An apology if this is not the correct forum, but it is about FSX!

Any tech guys out there that can help, or should I just "clone" both

Cheers

Steve

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Try to clone both drives to respective USB drives, I did it with Acronis with my main hdd containing Windows and FSX when moving from a smaller to a bigger hdd. The process went fine but it's probably you'll need to reactivate FSX and perhaps your Windows copy if is OEM, some add ons will need to be reinstalled again because of licenses that don't work on new hdd.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4