Sign in to follow this  
Airbus

Strange Coastline!

Flying into Cleveland Ohio today along Lake Erie and encountered a blocky coastline. Here is a picture. Anyone have any thoughts on how this can happen?Thanks for your help!Airbushttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/100222.jpg

Al Kaupa

Digital Storm purchased 8/17/2011; Win7x64: Asus P8P67 Deluxe; Intel i7 2600K@3,9 GHZ; nVidia GTX 560Ti; 8GB DDR3 1600 Corsair Dominator; Power Corsair HX 750W; Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD; 300GB WD VelociRaptor; 1TB Seagate.

yeah, It's Ohio.... ;-)Just Kiddin. haven't seen that before, looks like something is missing.Did you install anything recently in terms of mesh, scenery or landclass?If so try removing it go back to the same area.Also try a slow aircraft and or decrease the complexity in the sliders. What are your system specs and slider settings? Regards,Joe

CryptoSonar on Twitch & YouTube. 

I installed some landclass for the whole USA about a month ago and it looked OK then. Not sure mesh would do this. I am going to play with the sliders and see if visibility issues are the problem. Also it looks like winter textures are already present in this part of the country which could be an issue.Thanks!Airbus

Al Kaupa

Digital Storm purchased 8/17/2011; Win7x64: Asus P8P67 Deluxe; Intel i7 2600K@3,9 GHZ; nVidia GTX 560Ti; 8GB DDR3 1600 Corsair Dominator; Power Corsair HX 750W; Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD; 300GB WD VelociRaptor; 1TB Seagate.

Did you install the MSFS2004 Patch that came out a couple months ago.

CryptoSonar on Twitch & YouTube. 

Yes, I have the FS9 update. To be more specific, this area is off the coast at Burke Lakefront airport near the city of Cleveland. I checked the coast around Chicago and it appears OK to me. I even went to Hawaii and the coasts look beutiful there! This may be a landclass problem, so I will have to dig further. Hopefully someone can help figure this one out!Thanks!Airbus

Al Kaupa

Guest Fsfreeware

Airbus;that could well be a default hydro file wich is missing - from your default folder.get the Lwm viewer from Jim's site at:http://www.jimkeir.co.uk/FlightSim/LWMViewer.htmlinstallfileopen by coordsinsert your coordinates where you see the problem - exactly on the dotand ceck - on your file list returned - on the left window of lwm viewer - you should see a file wich start its name with hp - ceck where the file is - as it should be in one of the North American scenery sub folders - wich are located- in the main fs9 scenery folder.ceck if is there.ray

Guest pwal

a different approach here- but the image looks like what fs does when you increse speed 16x, say and it cant load everything fast enough. then, normally, when you go back to normal speed, it loads everything back and refines it. i wonder if its not related to this somehow.

Do you have the HL*.bgl and HP*.bgl files in your SceneryNameScenery folder?Even if you do, they may be corrupted. Try restoring the files off the original FS CD. Now I don't know on which CD those particular files are but if you have Winzip you can open the .cab files on each CD and check.Also make sure all default scenery for this region is enabled in the Scenery Library.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Thanks to everyone that helped me!! This story has a happy ending!Someone mentioned that I should look for missing files in the sceneryname or scenerynamc. I had recently installed some West Virginia enhancements that required that some files in these directories be removed, which I did. The enhancement files were "LVM" and "VTP" files. After doing some research I found that I was getting in over my head with all this so I just put all these files back and the problem went away!! When I get time I would like to try out the LVM viewer and go back to the enhancements which I am sure are really good.The moral to this story may be that some changes to FS2004 are indeed a compromise. What is improved in one area may affect another. It boils down to how you fly and what is important to you.Thanks again!Airbus

Al Kaupa

"What is improved in one area may affect another."Indeed. I think I have 3 scenery.cfg files, 2 terrain.cfg files and 2 fs9.cfg files that I switch between and I also have a bunch of .bat files to move various .bgl files in and out as I need them :)

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Guest GCBarni

Out of curiosity, I searched the Library here for some West Virginia LWM and VYP files. The most recent one I could find is from Richard Hill and to be properly functional, additional scenery like that from FSGenesis is required.If you're asked to remove files, then there has to be a replacement; that's only common sense. If you're not using additional scenery such as suggested by Richard, then consequences such as you have written about are bound to occur. This is why instructions are included when author's post their material. Yes, when altering some aspects of scenery, there is a domino-effect sometimes and compromises must be made, but if installation is followed to the letter, then things usually work out and on those occassions when they do go wrong, solutions are more easily found.

Yes, the file was from Richard Hill and following his instructions, I did install additional files in my worldscenery folder after I removed all the HP, HL, etc and other files. He did not specify a location for his LWM and VYP files so I stuck them in the world/scenery folder with other mexh files. I believe Holger had recommended to install all mesh files to this folder and not to the addon folder. Maybe that is where I blew it!!:( I also have some FSGenesis mesh for the northeast installed, but not all of them. That could be part of the problem also. I am sure Richard's scenery is great. I need to try to relocate his files and perhaps get the rest of the FSGenesis stuff.Thanks for your interest!Airbus

Al Kaupa