Sign in to follow this  
asz

Hardware in X-plane10

HI,

After 15 years flying with FS 9/10 I am ready to try something else (better?), namely X-Plane10.

My question is (and the purchase depends on the answer): is it possible to set up yoke, throttle quadrant, and pedals, save the setting, switch to Saitek x52 joystick and hotas set up and save again and applied one of the saved  setting in function of the aircraft to be flown. I did not found any explanation neither in the manual nor in the demo version.

Thanks in advance for any guide lines or indication of where I can find the answer.

Andre.

I have such a setup using two copies of X-Plane on the same computer.  X-Plane does not "install" itself all over your computer as FSX and others do. It installs in it's own little package (actually pretty big) and you can place this in any place you want (mine - both of them) - are kept in documents. One is renamed X-Plane Helicopter and I use this exclusively for what it's name implies.  My controllers (all of them - yoke, pedals, quadrants, Saitek X-52) stay connected all the time with only the ones I use in each application (Plain or Helicopter) being setup in that particular package.  Works great.

How do you make two installs?  Just install X-Plane 10, update and then copy the new folder to another location.  Rename and move it back if you like.  Within the folders, copy the .exe file to the desktop.  When an update comes down, you have to update both copies which will happen when you start that package to fly that particular version.

You are in business.

John

John Wingold

My question is (and the purchase depends on the answer): is it possible to set up yoke, throttle quadrant, and pedals, save the setting, switch to Saitek x52 joystick and hotas set up and save again and applied one of the saved setting in function of the aircraft to be flown

"No" not that I am aware of at least.  I looks like John may have a work around above but I'm certainly not going to have an individual copy of XP saved for each type of aircraft I fly.  This "control configuration consistency" is one of my biggest gripes about XP10. There is no GUI plug in or app that allows you to configure controls for each of the aircraft you fly and then remember that configuration upon reloading that aircraft like FSUIPC allows in MSFS.  I believe I heard Tom K. (from the IXEG project and his MU2) state that they were going to lobby Austin hard for this type of utility for their B737 project. I really hope that something similar is developed for XPlane that does not require a ton of coding work or dataref analysis to use. 

Hardware users like myself are a minority in this small niche market so this drawback tends to fall on deaf ears. I have heard many times, "How hard is it to reconfigure your controls it only takes me two minutes" Maybe that's true for most but I run over 20 individual Axis, 120+ programmable button's switches not even counting the eight  modules worth of Go Flight equipment I use as well. So I actually don't swap aircraft as much as I do when I run MSFS which I suppose can also be looked at as a good thing :rolleyes:

RE Thomason Jr.

You can save different controls settings for every aircraft, using the 3rd party X-Assign plug-in: http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=12551

Actually it lets you save 3 sets per aircraft, plus 3 global sets.

The one thing I don't know is whether it'll work when you swap hardware. AFAIK XP10 doesn't register control hardware if you plug it in after it's launched anyway, so you'd either have to quit and relaunch when you switch hardware (which might bug you with a "new hardware found, calibrate?" message during launch), or leave both yoke and joystick plugged in when you shuffle them around.

Anyway, I have two joysticks hooked up all the time myself, just so I have access to all the extra buttons.

You can save different controls settings for every aircraft, using the 3rd party X-Assign plug-in: http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=12551

Actually it lets you save 3 sets per aircraft, plus 3 global sets.

The one thing I don't know is whether it'll work when you swap hardware. AFAIK XP10 doesn't register control hardware if you plug it in after it's launched anyway, so you'd either have to quit and relaunch when you switch hardware (which might bug you with a "new hardware found, calibrate?" message during launch), or leave both yoke and joystick plugged in when you shuffle them around.

Anyway, I have two joysticks hooked up all the time myself, just so I have access to all the extra buttons.

Wow! thanks for that Starflight this is great information! :yahoo:  :drinks:

RE Thomason Jr.

Thank You gentelmens for your answers/comments. I think I will try the Mr. Austin product especially after STARFLIGHT answer. The main reason is, I am fed-up with this MSFS OOM's and BSOD which happend all the time due to all this add-ons. Don't disappoint me, telling  that in X Plane you have similar problems !!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope that my rig will support a flawless use of the sim.

Andre

MB: Asus P8P67LE
CPU: i7 3770k (oc-ed to 4.4Ghz)
Cooler : ventirad Scyth Mugen
GPU ; MSI GTX 660 2Gb
RAM : 8Gb DDR3 1600
Minitor : LCD 1920x1080/32
WIN7/64 on own HD Velociraptor
FSX : on own HD Velociraptor
future X- plane on a 500 Gb HD

Andre the X-Assign plug in works very well with joysticks yoke and throttle sets.

You can assign the associated buttons as well.

The Go Flight equipment is another story, There is a plug in for default aircraft for most of the equipment but as soon as you use the new aircraft coming out you have to use another plugin that is been written at the moment not quite finished yet.

You have to use data ref commands for the equipment to work.

http://caffeinatedaviator.com/xgoflight/

Hope this some help.

Trevor Golding