Sign in to follow this  
Giorgio262

comments on latest updates

Thread intended for recent and future updates.

positive:

- I'm glad IF is being developed.

- Hud camera now has direction indicator in a lower position: better for visibility.

- pushback, systems page are fun additions.

- more positive stuff will come to mind, I'm sure

negatives:

- switching between cameras was easier\quicker\more practical before.

- setting heading (HDG) on autopilot was quicker before. These "two-stage buttons" seem to cause longer times to switch between - presets or just increase\decrease between largely different numbers, at least on my device (Galaxy Tab2 10.1", Android 4.1.2).

- the flight data bar gives a lot of information, but I miss the clean view  I could enjoy on most cameras, and on replays as well.

- Worst of all, I feel I lost some smoothness in terms of frames. The game, especially the landscape, seems to stutter a bit now, It happens on the old sceneries but it's way more apparent on the new Amsterdam scenery. Nothing new happened to my tablet so it must be Infinite Flight recent update. I also restarted the tablet and even tried restart plus erasing system cache, to no avail. It's annoying to the point I wish I could roll back the game to before the update.

For future reference, I strongly suggest any modification that could possibly cause loss of frames to the general game should come with a switch to turn it off to keep frames count intact. While I do love detailed graphics as much as everybody else, I do feel this kind of games\simulations require a frame rate as smooth as possible.

So far this is the app I spent more money on, so I'd hate to find mandatory updates have rendered it less usable\enjoyable for me.

Hi Giorgio,

The chopiness or stuttering could indeed spoil it for most anybody. It is a big issue.

I wonder though, if you didn't make any other changes to your device (other than updating I.F.) and you are not running out of RAM so if the problem is not specific to your conditions, more users should report the same change. We may see that in this thread, as people start adding input, it will be interesting to see. I can't have a good input, as I am so new to IF that I don't have a good "before"reference. I have noticed occasional stumbling on my Samsung tab 3, but not too often, not enough to become really annoying or a show stopper. But, yeah, I agree this can be a biggie. It's like having an expensive car you like a lot, then getting it enhanced with all kinds of gadgets but replacing the wheels with some that are not perfectly round :-)

Dobs.22

I understand your doubts which is why I specified nothing new happened to my tab. I keep unecessary default apps disabled to prevent the system to keep them running at start or in the background. I make sure to switch off energy saving when it could spoil performance, and free RAM when in doubt. After the update I ran infiniteflight several times and I confirm there's a bit of choppiness that wasn't there before. And some more stuttering every few seconds happens with the new Netherlands scenery compared to older sceneries.

As for the new interface: tiny buttons like flaps and spoilers and cameras presets etc. are hard to use on a 10.1 screen, they must be very hard to use on smaller screens.

Anyway I appreciate the effort, I can see the passion these people put into programming this simulator, and hope it gets better and better ...now I also regret I didn't buy the boeing cargo it was the cheaper plane to buy, and now that it has more skins the price went up :-(

Giorgio,

Agreed on all. I also admire this team for what they've accomplished and I am sure they will consider the points raised here, as I've noticed they welcome feedback.

I'm also thinking maybe the size of the device may impact directly on the performance; your 10" tablet has about twice as many pixels to process than my 7" Galaxy. Possibly this plays as a factor too, and maybe this is why I'm not seeing the same scale of the problem. But, I agree, you should be able to run the the app on the 10" tablet nice and smoothly, as this the actual size that allows the best bang for the buck.

I hope you will a more helpful input from somebody more knowledgeble in these things.

Cheers,

Dobs.22

Latest update brings a bit of help in selecting "sub-cameras", adds a question mark icon (that we can switch of on settings page, thanks for that) on the top left corner for those in need of help for deciphering the graphic interface, and the option to have the flight data bar vanish with the rest of the buttons when you don't tap the screen long enough. The latter gives us back a much loved clean view on replays.

Again thanks for the constant updates and attention to feedback.

I still insist though there's a bit of choppiness that wasn't there, at least on my device. I found I have footage recorded on a little media player that shows IF background running more smoothly with a few different jetliners, than it does now. Wish we can get a performance optimization along the way, along with a fix for that bad clipping bug some of us are experiencing. That said, IF still is a remarkably good app.

complete reinstall of FI after the last update kind of solved the weird stuttering on my tablet.

The new HD 737 is just great.

By the way in the last few months I spent some time with Real Racing 3 and that game has one amazing graphic engine, seems to be running more polygons with more ease than IF graphic engine does.

the recent update makes the auto pilot go funny on every go on infinite flight i pad air IOS 7.1 sometimes  the ap system is good but not all the time   

commenting the last update:

New 737 cockpit looks great, except for the clipping artifacts on the main lcd displays, at least on my Samsung tab2 10.1.

The new revised Cirrus looks great, except for the lack of a pilot and the fact that the front gear is fixed, only the wheel hidden in the fairing steers left and right but the fairing itself stays fixed. Obviosuly this cause the wheel to cut through the fairing when steering heavily.

Also I just noticed there seem to be more markings drawn on the runways, and now there are rotating beacon lights that signal airports? I don't remember noticing this kind of stuff before.

Finally I was really disappointed to notice that they reserved that beautiful US Air Force livery to the "bonus" 737-700 BBJ instead of giving it to everyone on the free 737-700.

Free with 20 purchases? yeah right, if you buy all the variants of every paid plane and what else, all of the barren wastelands of the add-on sceneries? I suppose Paris, London, Florida and NY don't even have decent mountains in them to make them slightly interesting. Add a few buildings already!