Sign in to follow this  
Rickie Welsh

777 keystroke for overhead panel

Hello,  I have all the necessary keystrokes in place for the 737ngx i.e. shift4 for the radios,shift6 for the overhead panel but I don't seem able to duplicate these into the 777 .  Can someone kindly give me some info. in order to do so.. Much obliged..  Richard Welsh.

I have all the necessary keystrokes in place for the 737ngx i.e. shift4 for the radios,shift6 for the overhead panel but I don't seem able to duplicate these into the 777 .

Hi, Richard,

The NGX has a full 2D panel, including overhead panels.  The 777 does not.  It has some popup/2D panel sections, including the three CDUs, the radio panel, two MCP (autopilot) panels.  These are visible in the FSX>Views>Panel menu and most of them are assigned a Shift+NUMBER combination (as in the NGX).  But the 777 does not have a popup/2D overhead panel.  The overhead is only accessible in the virtual cockpit, so AFAIK, there is no way to have a popup/2D overhead panel at this time.  It is possible that when the SDK comes out, someone will figure out how to implement one.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Hello Mike,  Thanks for your reply, its really the 777 that's the bogey for keystrokes other than the ones you mentioned.  I will somehow persevere, he who dares wins. Richard Welsh.

Hello, I have all the necessary keystrokes in place for the 737ngx i.e. shift4 for the radios,shift6 for the overhead panel but I don't seem able to duplicate these into the 777 . Can someone kindly give me some info. in order to do so.. Much obliged.. Richard Welsh.

Hi, Steve and Richard,

Steve, this is an excellent and very simple solution!  Just tried it and it works fine.  Will continue to see if Tabs' warnings in the thread in which you posted turn out to be true -- although I think he was talking more about Shift+# commands.

Richard, this is a very nice solution -- it involves adding only one line to the aircraft.cfg file for the T7.  F10 brings up the overhead panel.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Hi Mike,   I did as Steve suggested to the letter in the 777LR/Cargo but F10 does not work for me, I feel there must be differences in some PCs to others for whatever reasons. Regards.  Richard Welsh.

I did as Steve suggested to the letter in the 777LR/Cargo but F10 does not work for me, I feel there must be differences in some PCs to others for whatever reasons.

Richard, I'm surprised, since this is an FSX built-in command that is just being remapped.  I doubt it is hardware dependent for this command to work or not work.  He is talking about the 777 Aircraft.cfg files (one for the passenger, one for the freighter.)   The one new line at the end of the section that starts:

[CameraDefinition.3]
Title = "Overhead Lower Panel"

and ends with

InitialPbh=-64.5, 0, 0
HotKeySelect=2  //<<this is the new line

Also, if you changed or added camera definitions at some point, the numbering might be off.  Make sure it is in the section that has "Title="Overhead Lower Panel" "

This should make the F10 key bring up the main overhead panel.  (Otherwise it brings up the cockpit view, which is pretty useless as there is no 2D main panel.)  Note that this does not work through Shift-# commands as it is not a popup 2D panel.

BTW, I also tried changing CameraDefinition.5, CDUs and ECL, to hotkey 3, which works out to the F11 key.  This worked too, but it took away the locked spot view, even by using  the S command, so I took it out.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Hello Mike,  Theres no dispute in my mind that the procedures you outlined work for you and possibly for others but as I previously stated it does not work for me in FSX and I can assure you I carried out all the instructions and checked them over again, saved, but still no joy. I will persevere and get back to you.  Richard Welsh.

Hello Mike,  Theres no dispute in my mind that the procedures you outlined work for you and possibly for others but as I previously stated it does not work for me in FSX and I can assure you I carried out all the instructions and checked them over again, saved, but still no joy. I will persevere and get back to you.  Richard Welsh.

Check my reply in the other thread here: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/421182-is-the-pmdg-777-documentation-missing-important-panel-access-information/?p=2872506

Steve Caffey

Hello, Steve and Mike,  I just wanted to put things in perspective.  I am 76 years of age(although not past my sell by date) and although I can operate all the PMDG aircraft successfully, some things like highlighting other simmer posts before answering them and forwarding post answers by Email are beyond me. Regarding the ongoing issue of bringing up the overhead in the 777LR/Cargo with HotkeySelect=2 which did not work for me, I fiddled about the FSX/Controls and tried the first control- 2-D Cockpit View(shortcut) and used button 10 on the CH Eclipse Yoke as a keystroke and bingo SUCCESS except the repeat sign does not remove the panel from view, I have to press F9 to get back to virtual cockpit, but at least I got there and I am happy with that. Thanks Guys for all your efforts in helping me, its times like this when we  simmers can get our heads together and assist others. Richard Welsh.

I fiddled about the FSX/Controls and tried the first control- 2-D Cockpit View(shortcut) and used button 10 on the CH Eclipse Yoke as a keystroke and bingo SUCCESS except the repeat sign does not remove the panel from view, I have to press F9 to get back to virtual cockpit, but at least I got there and I am happy with that. Thanks Guys for all your efforts in helping me, its times like this when we simmers can get our heads together and assist others

Hi, Richard,

Glad it is working!  Sounds like you assigned a button on your yoke to the 2D cockpit, and that Steve's modification in the aircraft.cfg file then overrode it so when you press the key on the yoke you get the overhead. 

I have to press F9 to get back to the main VC view too -- I think the command (F10 for me, Yoke button 10 for you) only brings up the overhead.  If the overhead is already displayed, it does nothing.

I am not a whole lot younger than you, BTW.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Hi Mike,  Between you Steve and me, we got a result, thanks a lot.  Richard Welsh.