Sign in to follow this  
Nuno Pinto

FSX - Graphic Driver Freezes

I am having this problem now, freezing and fsx is not responding. I have to ctrl alt del and the error log says an unknown dll caused an application hang.

Answering the tips posted above:

High FSX/display driver settings.

Yes but never a problem before the past month or so. Maybe it's an Nvidia driver problem?

High settings within commercial weather programs like REX, AS2012, OPUS.  Check. Some raise settings to the highest texture settings (4096 HD) within weather programs. This coupled with high FSX.cfg LOD_Radius and Texture_Max_Load settings may take up too many resources and FSX will freeze.

I do run 4096 setting but 512 cloud textures and 4.5 lod radius. Texture max load is default too

Complications with weather server updates.  FSX may try to update the weather and the weather server is down or cannot comply with a request.

Using ASN

Running out of Virtual Address Space (VAS) especially on one hour or longer flights (see VAS discussion further down in this section).

You would hear a DING if you run FSUIPC, I do not hear DINGS and funny enough the freezes happen over mostly sparse areas or water during cruise.

Bad FSX tweaks.  Rebuild the FSX.cfg to see if this fixes the problem.

I removed most tweaks and still same problem.

ENBSeries Module

SweetFX Module

I don't run either

I guess it's a problem with ASN and or the PMDG 777X

I removed most tweaks and still same problem.

I think this is your problem David.  Some FSX tweaks are bad.  If you know what tweaks you have left (most people don't especially if they use the venetubo fsx tweak program), just comment out the tweaks so they won't load and see if this fixes the problem (place double slashes in front of the item (i.e., //UsePools=0)). 

You state "I do run 4096 setting but 512 cloud textures and 4.5 lod radius. Texture max load is default too."  This is confusing.  You indicate you have ASN.  There are no 4096 graphics settings for this program other than in your Texture_Max_Load (which you state is set at the default of 1024).  There are no graphics that come with this program.  So do not know why you mentioned this.  What program are you using with a 4096 setting?  REX?

Anytime you get a freeze or a CTD, it results in an investigation on YOUR part.  There are suggestions on how to reduce freezes/CTD's (such as in the AVSIM CTD Guide) but these do not always work.  Wish they would, but every system is configured differently.  Some are overclocked with bad overclock voltages, timings, settings (even though you successfully run memory and cpu diagnostics for 48 hours straight does not mean your OC is completely stable).  Overheating causes freezes too. 

In the AVSIM CTD guide (which covers freezes) there is a section on how to troubleshoot (see Actions to take after a crash is encountered and Actions to take to prevent crashes).  This is what I consider "investigating" a freeze or CTD.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Well, my problem is back. After a few flights it just froze for another 5 minutes (all default) and then resumed operation. I even installed Windows 8 and tested, same thing. I removed the overclock completely, it STILL happens.

The only remaining things are IvAP and ASN. I am completely out of ideas.... Thing is, this didn't happen ~3 months ago or so and i just can't remember what changed back then. Can it be when i swapped RAM from a 1600MHz kit into a 2133MHz kit?  Even though i removed the overclock, RAM is still at 2133.

There's something out of sync on my PC and i just can't find it.

CASE: Custom ALU 5.3L CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4060 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

Well, i finally FINALLY got it. After another set of long LONG hauls i can say i eliminated the problem of the temporary random freezes for good. I already posted a partial solution in another thread also related to the freezes, but this is all i needed to do:

[JobScheduler]

AffinityMask=84

Somehow my system/FSX/Graphics Card/whatever needs to have Core1 free for whatever it needs it to. Once i remove the mask, the freezes are back. I didn't test anything further than this like disabling HT in the BIOS or setting another mask, i was SO fed up with the situation that i stopped tweaking once i found where the problem lied.

Weird stuff...  Fortunately the loss of performance is hardly noticeable on a 4770K if any at all, so once again i'm a happy FSX user with zero issues as of now.

Thanks to the community which helped with ideas and so many tweaks and experiences which ultimately lead to my problem's resolution.

Cheers!

CASE: Custom ALU 5.3L CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4060 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11