Sign in to follow this  
Sportsfan23

What extra info should be put into the FMC?

I know the required information that goes into the FMC but I am wondering what other information should be added to "help" FMC's function better? I add some not required stuff to the FMC but I am wondering if there is stuff I have missed that is also important to add. 

EDIT: Another question I thought of. When you are flying a STAR and on the legs page sometimes it says "vectors" for one of the entries during the approach. Am I supposed to figure out what "vector" I need to take to get to the next waypoint or will ATC give me that "vector" to the next waypoint? I found I can also just delete this entry but it's actually messed up my plans a few times and I get the descent path not achievable which makes sense since I am guessing that is because I deleted part of the route. 

Without knowing what plane you're flying, it's really hard to say because it depends on what the FMC will let you put in there. But I would think you would want to put in as much as you can.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

You need ATC vectors for that, but in sim you can vector yourself if you want. You can open flightradar24 and figure out how ATC vectors aircraft at airport you want to land and then you can vector yourself.

Yea should have mentioned that sorry the main plane I have been flying has been the PMDG 737. Yea I guess filling in all the areas would be best haha but I thought maybe some of it was more for aesthetics and didn't really add to the flying aspect. 

You need ATC vectors for that, but in sim you can vector yourself if you want. YOu can go at flightradar24 and figure out how ATC vectors aircraft at airport you want to land and then you can vector yourself.

I use RC4 for ATC so next time I will try it and see if I get a vector when I reach that point of the flight plan. I thought maybe since I usually request the full ILS that RC4 would basically leave the plane plane alone and you fly the whole thing by yourself in which case you wouldn't get assigned a vector to the next way point. 

Adding winds enroute helps calculating the top of descent, but it can be quite some work.

Inserting SIDs and STARs makes flying more like IRL, but technically, the FMC can control your flight without them.

Certain fixes and navaids entered can help with navigation, situational awareness, complying with descent intructions by ATC, increasing awareness for ETOPS alternates etc., etc. etc.

I'd suggest to visit PMDG's website and check their tutorials offered for free download. There's a lot that can be learned, also FMC-wise, from their Boeing 747 tutorials, for example. The 737 NG and the NGX, of course, also provide tutorials.

LVLD's B767 manual is also available from their site for free download, including a tutorial flight.

For ETOPS and the FMC, search for the PFPX tutorial (2 parts) on the Aerosoft forum.