Sign in to follow this  
abh_jc_03

throttle issues turbine duke

I have the saitek pro flight yoke system with 2 seperate throttle units.  I can't for the life of me get the throttle calibrated properly with FSUIPC.  I have tried the send to FSUIPC calibration and I have tried send to normal fs axis.  There is no subtle thrust increase.  I pretty much go from idle to 108 and then to 300 rpm in a very little movement of my throttles.  It is nearly impossible to taxi with the amount of thrust and inaccurate throttle movement.  It shows the throttles just barely moving but I can move it about a 1/8 of an inch and get no increase in RPM and then move another 1/8 in and go from 100 to 300 like that.  Someone please help.

Josh Scholl

You don't need FSUIPC to calibrate two simple analogue throttles. Using standard FSX control/assignments go to the axis control menu, identify your saitek throttle controls and assign one control to engine 1 throttle and the other to engine 2 throttle. You can calibrate using the standard windows calibration system in windows control panel. Whether you use FSUIPC or not you still have to calibrate. The calibration process has to be done carefully and check when it's done that the throttles smoothly go from zero to full without any spikes. This has nothing to do with the Duke but everything to do with the calibration and the quality of your controls.

Provided your analogue controls are smooth and have no spikes it should be completely smooth and finely graduated. Additionally you can use the detente (the bottom of the analogue throttle controls) to trigger reverse thrust.

This would be the same for any twin-engined addon aircraft, or indeed the default twins.

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

I believe FSUIPC recommends you remove the FSX assignments..

Have you tried setting the gain curves for your throttles ? I don't have saitek throttles, but you can really customize the settings with FUSIPC...

The other options would be to set up ranges for the throttles, but I don't think that necessary...

Also if you are windows 7 you shouldn't need any driver software... but I could be mistaken.

I have the saitek pro flight yoke system with 2 seperate throttle units.  I can't for the life of me get the throttle calibrated properly with FSUIPC.  I have tried the send to FSUIPC calibration and I have tried send to normal fs axis.  There is no subtle thrust increase.  I pretty much go from idle to 108 and then to 300 rpm in a very little movement of my throttles.  It is nearly impossible to taxi with the amount of thrust and inaccurate throttle movement.  It shows the throttles just barely moving but I can move it about a 1/8 of an inch and get no increase in RPM and then move another 1/8 in and go from 100 to 300 like that.  Someone please help.

I think it's just one of those things that you can only get to be so close.  To taxi, pull down your condition levers to just above cutoff, and you'll have a lot more control than if you have them set high.  To set power for final approach, say around 400, with your levers on high, it's just going to have to be close enough on either engine.  You can use a slight curve, but that will come at the expense of being able to set power at the mid ranges.  I know what you're talking about, and after spending far too much time trying to get it perfect, I finally came to the conclusion that one just doesn't have as much of a degree of granularity in the Saitek throttles as would be ideal.  My advice would be to not drive yourself crazy with it, either trying to get ultra-fine control at the lower end, or to synchronize your engines too closely.  :lol:

I think it's just one of those things that you can only get to be so close.  To taxi, pull down your condition levers to just above cutoff, and you'll have a lot more control than if you have them set high.  To set power for final approach, say around 400, with your levers on high, it's just going to have to be close enough on either engine.  You can use a slight curve, but that will come at the expense of being able to set power at the mid ranges.  I know what you're talking about, and after spending far too much time trying to get it perfect, I finally came to the conclusion that one just doesn't have as much of a degree of granularity in the Saitek throttles as would be ideal.  My advice would be to not drive yourself crazy with it, either trying to get ultra-fine control at the lower end, or to synchronize your engines too closely.  :lol:

That's good advice, and I forgot to give same. The tip about keeping the condition levers low is emphasised in the Flying Guide for the Duke. I recommend the OP reads that guide as it also contains useful info about all aspects of flying the Duke T.

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page