Sign in to follow this  
TC1

FSNavigator support & performance question

New poster here, looking to step up from years of casual simming to a slightly more thoughtful approach (as typified by members of this forum - thanks for all the information I've gleaned from browsing it).I'm about to buy FSNavigator, but I'd appreciate views on a couple of points:1) Is there any other source from which I can download the file of SIDS/STARS for FSNavigator? I'm aware of the support rumours, and the difficulty that the author has had in providing support for some months, but www.fsnavigator.com has been down all week so I'm worried this may be more than just a Christmas outage. And can I download a file without using the FSNavigator update option to do it? (My internet connection is not on my FS9 machine)?2) When I open the trial version of FSNavigator (4.6) from FS9 I get short but regular stutters in the sim (jerky frames, sound "burps" etc) that seem to correspond to the moving map update interval, whichever page is displayed. This happens even when using settings that allow FS9 to run between 50-70fps in a window - the average framerate display oscillates quite a lot. The effect is reduced if I set a lowish maximum framerate, but is (oddly) more pronounced when FSNavigator is set to replace the sim window than when I undock FSNavigator and run it on a second monitor! I've reduced the effect to a tolerable level but would like to solve it completely before I buy the app. My 20 free sessions are expiring fast, so can anyone suggest where I should concentrate my investigations?I have tried alternatives like FS Commander, SFP etc but FSNavigator feels like the right solution for me. I could use a networked laptop and WideFS etc with alternative apps, but would rather not. Surely FSNavigator runs very smoothly for most people or it wouldn't be so popular?My system is a Dell P2.8, 512Mb, nVidia Ti4600. Not new, but quite respectable! I run FSUIPC (registered) to manage home-made pedals on the gameport (and Active Sky in offline mode) but no other background/ancilliary programs.Just bought Misty Fjords. Stunning! FSNavigator is intended to help me find all those cabins (and, at risk of offending the purists, to fly the plane from time to time while I just look out of the window :-)Thanks. A very happy New Year to all.

Guest lamont

Stub:I've run FSNAV with FS2000, 2002 and 2004 and haven't had any problems with stuttering. Our systems are similar except for the homemade pedals, I'm using CH Yoke and pedals.I also run it on a second monitor, unless I need to change my flight plan. It's possible your pedals are not interacting well with it but kinda doubt it. There are intermittent stutters when ActiveSky updates but you say you're running it offline so that should rule it out.As for the SID/STARS download I'm not aware of any other site to download the info except as an update within FSNAV. There is a standalone site to download AIRACS for FSNAV.Sorry I couldn't be of more help. It really is an outstanding program.

I have just accessed FSNavigator site Stub without a problem, note this is the main site for purcahsing FSNav not the SID/STAR download site.Last I read, a couple of weeks ago, the SID/ STAR downloads were working.TBH I couldn't tell you the last time I d/loaded any of the SID/STARs although that's because I normally fly aircraft with their own in-built a/p so I don't need FSNav for that.Once you get used to FSNav building SIDs & STARs is not difficult if you have access to approach charts.I think you also need to look at what kind of flying you do. I thought the FS ATC did not use SIDs & STARs (maybe wrong because I don't use that facility) so you don't need them for that and if you fly on line with real ATC you are usually vectored in and if you don't have charts you can ask for vectors.Unless you intend to fly to/from dozens of airports I don't think using the SIDs & STARs supplied with FSNav will be a big problem.I have used FSNav since FS98 and have never had a problem with it casuing FS to stutter.I would suggest first of all removing your pedals, just to eliminate them as a cause.I would also look at what background tasks you are running. Don't expect to surf the web, stream music, edit a few graphics files and run FS & FSNav at the same time :-), a bit OTT but I'm sure you get my drift.I am running FS9 & FSnav on an AMD 2500 without stutters so you shouldn't have them.If you need any help with FSNav just PM me.Happy New Year and happy FSNav :-)PS I case you were not aware the FSNav support forum is now at www.simflight.comhttp://forums.simflight.com/viewforum.php?...7d3481c5ee3e0bd

Guest Kingair315

Been running FSNav for years, without a problem, even on slower systems. Just accessed the website without any problems, and downloaded the update for SIDS & STARS... Dont have Misty Fjords, do have all FSGenesis Mesh, and Landclass. Am running everything on one computer, with one monitor.

Thanks very much, lamont, vulcan & kingair315 for your helpful replies. I'm sure that the remaining stutters can be resolved on my system with more time to fiddle so I shall go ahead with FSNav. SIDS & STARS are not an immediate issue anyway (given my current level of ignorance) and from what you say I can see that they're not likely to be very significant for the majority of flying I do.Thanks for pointing me at the FSNav forum - most useful.I'm very impressed by the loyalty people show to FSNav - even in the face of the support difficulties of late. That say's a lot for a product's inherent quality.

To be honest Stub the current level of 'official' support because of Helge very unfortunate circumstances shoudl not be a problem. There are enough of us who have used to program for quite a while, both here and on the support forum, to help anyone new to the program.Sure there are a couple of things I would like fixed that didn't make the transition from FS2002 to FS9 but they aren't show stoppers and a new user wouldn't miss them anyway :-)Any problems just shout here, or better still use the support forum.

I've used FSnav since 1998 and still think it's the best utility for MSFS ever. Nothing else comes close. It MADE MSFS for me. My primary FS PC is a DELL P.2.53 with 1GB RDRAM and Ti4600. Never had any performance issues with FSnav on it.Adjust your fps downward to 25 fps and try again. My cap is 22. There CAN be FSnav update "burps" if you click on FSnav while using the sim, but if you have dual monitors, this is almost a non-issue. It's not significant for me and never has been.SIDS and STARS for FSNav are OK. Nothing amazing. You can build your own easily with it. Support? We're all here for you. There's also a support forum at FSnav even though the developer of FSnav has been indisposed for some time following an accident. But you'll figure 97% of it out for yourself in 2 weeks and you won't need much support. Buy and enjoy it! Happy New Year.JS

I don't use FSNavigator as a primary means of guiding a plane, but I do find it extremely useful as a means of generating flightplans for export to the likes of the PSS Airbus and the PMDG 737 which have full-blown FMC's of their own.If you don't have FSNav, it's a bit of a pain doing that.So it's a useful product even at that level, if that is the sort of plane you want to fly.

ngxu_banner.png

Guest kittie

I was also thinking of buying this program, it is between FSNavigator or FS Commandor. It sounds like FSNavigator is the preference. I was a little worried about the support or upgrades, but it appears as though this really isn't an issue with most.The other question I would have; I fly using GPS mod (I haven't learned how to use Nav. yet), Can you only make flight plans using Nav mod settings instead of GPS mod in FSNavigator?ThanksHuggsKittiex:)~ This system is: AMD 64 3500+ 939 ASUS A8V Deluxe with wifi GCorsair TwinX1024 3200 XL Pro 2 36gig W.D. Raptor drives in Raid256 X800 ProSound Blaster Audigy 2 ZSWindow xp homeAntec True power 550wThermaltake Premier V5000A caseCH USB Yoke and Rudder Pedals

>The other question I would have; I fly using GPS mod (I haven't learned how to use Nav. yet), Can you only make flight plans using Nav mod settings instead of GPS mod in FSNavigator?

Guest ohioguy

Great program, but why do the airports and navaids load all so slow when I'm in fullscreen mode with AA on. AA off and no problems, or AA on and window mode, no problems.I posted this once before, but I don't think I mentioned no problems in window mode.

Guest Herrie

Thanks Vulcan for your information. I am thinking about completing my setup with buying a good flightplanner and moving map and this helps a lot. An additional question is: is it possible to run FSNav on a second PC, connected by LAN to the first one? And would I need FSUIPC and WideFS to do so? Herrie

That's one of the drawbacks with FSNav Herrie, you cannot use it an another PC, it runs as part of FS.A lot of us long time users would like to able to run it on a second PC but whether that will happen is anyones guess.

Guest Herrie

Well, Vulcan, that is indeed a drawback. Do you know of another way to put a moving map on the second PC using LAN? I want to use my laptop in a sensible way. The (first)PC with two monitors is used for projecting the cockpit views and instruments. If you have any other suggestions for using the laptop, I would be very grateful. Herrie

Guest kittie

Wow, okay that helps a lot. Thank youWhat I meant by flying, is I fly in GPS mod when using Auto Pilot. I have yet to figure out the other mod, NAV. I know it's something to do with the radio's but I don't know how to make a flight plan or load it into the aircraft or do you just keep changing the NAV radio's as you fly? I did find a web site that helps you build a flight plan also, but I'm not sure how to take that information and use it. I'm guess you just add one waypoint at a time? I did try the program out but never did get a flight plan going, I used it more for the map features and airport info. I think I might just get this program. To bad you can't run it on a second PC.HuggsKittiex:)~ This system is: AMD 64 3500+ 939 ASUS A8V Deluxe with wifi GCorsair TwinX1024 3200 XL Pro 2 36gig W.D. Raptor drives in Raid256 X800 ProSound Blaster Audigy 2 ZSWindow xp homeAntec True power 550wThermaltake Premier V5000A caseCH USB Yoke and Rudder Pedals