Sign in to follow this  
mazelda

Very basic flight question

not sure if this should go here or in hanger chat but I've a very basic question regarding basic turns

I've very recently got a Saitek control column and throttle but as yet no rudder pedals so I've had to use the autorudder option in settings

which may or may not have caused what I'm getting .

When you do a standard turn to left or right and return the control column to neutral I was always led to believe that the aircraft would return to a straight and level condition at the new heading,but in my case I have to always use a slight amount of opposite aileron to achieve this ,is this normal in flight or is this because of the auto rudder or does the aircraft require some sort of aileron trim

thanks for advice on this

Pete Little

Did you calibrate your joystick?  Auto rudder would not have any affect on what you did when the column is returned to neutral.  Speed and wind would have a definite affect.  What you are describing is normal.  A good pilot would keep his hand on the wheel unless he's using autopilot.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thanks Jim

I was used to working in still air when I learned this years ago so oposte control makes sense thanks

also for some reason this topic has posted itself 3 times ie11 is a pain can you remove the duplicate posts

thanks

Pete Little

You need to bring the wings back to level with the yoke by turning it in the opposite direction of the initial turn as you are doing. Starting the turn you then neutralize the yoke at the bank angle desired until turn is completed. Then level out the wings at desired hdg.

Also, slight back pressure on the yoke during the turn is needed to maintain altitude due to some loss of lift on the lower wing.

Jim D.

One of three things will happen when banking a conventional airplane with dihedral. A shallow bank will tend to return to level, so you need to add a little aileron to keep it where it is. A medium bank will tend to stay put. A steeper bank will tend to increase, so some opposite aileron is required.

The typical changeover point is about 30 degrees of bank.

FSX models this reasonably well.

And as Jim D. said... The higher the bank, the more back pressure that is required.