Sign in to follow this  
Alberto Zanot

DX10 do not work anymore

hello everybody!

last night i was trying to start fsx in dx10 so i modified the cfg with D3D10=1.

once the splash screen was up, the aircraft preview window was all black. And starting fsx it CTD.

I also have noticed that setting D3D10 the application DID NOT HAD REBUILT the Shader10 folder.... really odd.

any suggestio, a part from clean reinstall :) ?

Restart FSX.  The normal procedure for activating DX10 Preview is to start up fsx, go to settings and enable DX10 Preview, then shutdown FSX and restart it. 

The aircraft preview window will be black if the aircraft is not DX10 compliant (i.e., made for a previous version of FS).  It will also be black if your fsx settings are set too high (but the aircraft will eventually show if you wait 15-20 minutes for it to load).  If the aircraft was not properly installed it will also not appear in the Window and the window will be black.  So there are a lot of possibilities.

There is no Shader10 folder.  It's called Shaders10 (with an 's').  It's located in a hidden directory (AppData/Local/Microsoft/FSX).  You can delete that folder and it will be rebuilt when you restart FSX in DX10 Preview mode.  It will be rebuilt when you first startup FSX to the startup screen so it should be there in this hidden directory. 

Same thing goes with the Shaders folder.  It's for DX9 and you can rebuild that one too but you have to be in DX9 mode (no DX10 Preview) for that folder to be rebuilt.  It will not be rebuilt as long as you are in DX10 Preview mode.

And starting fsx it CTD.

When did you have the CTD?  When starting up FSX to the Startup Screen? Or after the startup screen when you click the Fly button?  If it was after the startup screen, you need to tell us at what percentage fsx was loading and what was loading (terrain? AI?).  That provides a clue as to what caused the crash.  You should also go to the AVSIM CTD Guide (see pinned topic in this forum) and download the AppCrashView software and run it.  Then copy the full crash report and paste it here in this topic.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

thanks for your kind answer!

i got the default 737 in the aircraft preview window, so there should not be any compliance problem with dx10. bytheway it is not just the plane black (as it happens when plane textures are not compatible with dx10), it is the whole preview window black, so it is a dx problem for sure, not the plane.

yes sorry i meant ShaderS10 folder, with the S.

Generally when you delete Shaders and Shaders10, FSX rebuild them at next start. Now it does not rebuil it. (but in Dx9 mode folder Shaders is rebuilt).

Starting anyway, even with the preview window black, FSX start with loading at 100%, instantly at 100%, it's like there is nothing to load, and then hangs up. Not a real CTD, it hangs up and become unresponsitive.

Thanks for your help!

If you are using the default aircraft and the who view area is all black, then you have a memory related issue.  FSX is confused.  You should delete or rename your fsx.cfg and let the config rebuild.  This way FSX can install the proper displays for DX9 and DX10 in your config.  One display setting is for DX9 and the other is for DX10 and, if you have several monitors with different resolutions, you will see several display entries.  When you set DX10 by editing the config, you might have corrupted your installation as there was no DX10 display entries when you first started up, just DX9 entries.  So you confused FSX and the only way to fix it is to delete and rebuild your fsx.cfg then enable DX10 Preview within the application, then shutdown FSX and restart.  I have seen people enable DX10 preview by editing the fsx.cfg and they did not get the problems you are seeing but it's the only explanation I can see at this time.  If you rename your fsx.cfg to fsx.orig, then, if the rebuilding of your fsx.cfg does not work, then you can simply go back and get your old fsx.cfg back.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thank you so much for your interest and help!

tryed to make fsx rebuild the cfg, no luck.

there must be some other kind of bigger problem.

so i decided for a total clean re-install.

thanks again!