Sign in to follow this  
hychewright

REX4 and Opus

I have been reading in some threads that some people use REX for textures and Opus for the weather engine since Opus does not offer textures. Is this the best way to go for weather set up? I have not purchased a weather program yet and just shopping now.   Thanks. All options are welcome.

Regards

Lamar Wright

You could use Opus yeah. The REX guys are working on one that comes out soon. Active Sky Next will have a Prepar3d v2 version too also...

It's a workable combination right now since both Opus and Rex 4 Texture Direct support P3D2  As soon as Active Sky Next is available for P3D2, I'll probably switch over.  Also interested in the upcoming Rex 4 Weather Architect - the one where you design your own weather rather than downloading real-world weather.  A point in favor of Rex 4 Texture Direct - the themes load really, really fast - in just a few seconds.  For the first time, I'm using custom themes to match the real-world weather.  Never used to do that with the earlier Rex products because I didn't want to wait around for five minutes or more for the textures to load.  

I understand that REX4 will be an all in one package. Textures and weather engine. I like to download real time weather, just wonder if REX4 will have long downloads for textures and real time weather? I do have an SDD if that makes any difference. I think I'll also look at ASN for P3DV2 when it come out. I see a lot of simmers use that weather program also. Some simmers use just Opus with default P3D weather textures. The default weather textures are not to bad. The one thing I like about P3D clouds, they don't pop in like FSX. Not very realistic at all. In REX I wonder how long it takes to make custom themes to match the real time weather? Maybe quicker than download RTW?

Regards

Lamar Wright

Rex 4 will eventually be all in one - that is, if you buy the entire suite.  But you can use each module separately.  Texture Direct has a simple, limited option for setting up textures based on real-world weather - you can enter an ICAO code for a single airport (such as your departure point) and use that to have Texture Direct build you a theme, which you then install.  On my system, the entire process takes under 10 seconds - that's from entering the ICAO code to installing the theme and launching the sim.  Once the sim is launched, I use Opus to create the weather.  End to end, the whole procedure take a minute or two.  The biggest gain comes with the REX theme creation and installation - that used to be a very long process.  It'd be nice if they could bring similar improvement to their weather downloads and weather design (using Weather Architect).  But we'll have to see.  All I can say for now is, so far, so good.

I'm with you on this one. The first time I tried loading a custom texture set for an ICAO code I thought I'd done something wrong it was so fast. I never bothered with this in the old version of REX... It used to take forever.

If they can apply this kind of pace with their new weather engine then it'll be a winner for me.

A point in favor of Rex 4 Texture Direct - the themes load really, really fast - in just a few seconds.  For the first time, I'm using custom themes to match the real-world weather.  Never used to do that with the earlier Rex products because I didn't want to wait around for five minutes or more for the textures to load.

Can you folks report on textures for water in REX4 for P3D V2?  Honest opinions?  I'm an REX3 E+ user and am otherwise quite happy w/ textures.  Do you feel REX4 offers different enough, improved enough, textures (water and other) over REX3?

Thanks,

Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X